Back to School Apple Cupcakes: Moist vanilla cupcakes topped with fluffy buttercream frosting and decorated to resemble an apple. The perfect first day of school treat!
2 years of preschool +
13 years of “regular” school+
5 years of college+
I just turned 24 and I’ve spent nearly 20 years in school! Graduating college in May 2014 means this is only the second year I haven’t done the whole back to school thing. The smell of fresh notebooks, the anticipation of the first day, and meeting new teaches. Nostalgia….
Somedays I miss learning and getting to see my friends everyday. But most days I’m glad I no longer have homework! 🙂
Whether you’re going back to school or your kids are these apple cupcakes will make a great treat for the first day of school. Surprise them with one in their lunch box on the first day, or just treat them while you chit chat after school!
For the White Cupcakes
- 1 Box White Cake Mix + Ingredients Called For on the Box
For the Buttercream Frosting & Decorations
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- Red Sparkling Sugar
- 24 Tootsie Roll Midgies
- ~48 Green M&Ms
- Bake cupcakes according to the box directions. Cool completely.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Gradually add powdered sugar a little at at time until you reach your desired consistency. Add milk as needed.
- Fold in red food coloring until you reach your desired shade of red.
- Spread cupcake with frosting. Dust with red sparkling sugar.
- Place one Tootsie Roll onto each cupcake to resemble a stem.
- Place 2 M&Ms on each cupcake to resemble leaves.
Craving more Cupcakes?
What do you think of these Apple Cupcakes?