Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
Moist chocolate cherry cupcakes topped with a sweet cherry buttercream and rich chocolate ganache.
One of my Mom’s favorite candies is a chocolate covered cherry. I always buy her a box for Christmas. However, I wanted to elevate those candies to a new level with these decadent cupcakes.
Now I want to warn you about these cupcakes. They are not a simple one bowl ordeal. However, they’re SO worth it! Plus it’s Valentine’s Day so your significant other should do the dishes right!?! 🙂
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes – Cherry Yummy
Adapted via: Cooking Classy
- For The Cupcakes:
- 3 Oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ Cup Unsweetend Cocoa Powder
- ¾ Cup Hot Water
- ¾ Cup Bread Flour
- ¾ Cup White Sugar
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- For the Chocolate Ganache
- ½ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- For the Frosting
- ½ Cup Butter, Softened
- Pinch of Salt, To Taste
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp Maraschino Cherry Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- ½ of a 10 Oz. Jar of Maraschino Cherries, Roughly Chopped and Patted Dry
- 24 Whole Maraschino Cherries
- For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. In a small bowl mix chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour in hot water, and whisk until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Stir oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into your chocolate mixture. Then gradually stir in dry ingredients mixing until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners around ¾ full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For the Ganache:
- Heat cream in a medium saucepan until it's nearly boiling. Then pour over chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Cool until thickened slightly.
- For the frosting:
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in salt, cherry juice, vanilla, and red food coloring. Gradually stir in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Fold in chopped cherries.
- Putting it all together
- Place 2 cherries on top of each cupcake. Dollop frosting on top of the cherries.
- Drizzle some ganache on each cupcake. Top with an additional maraschino cherry if desired.