Mashed Potato Cakes
Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe: Crispy on the outside, yet cheesy and fluffy on the inside. These go great with anything and are so addictive!
Have leftover mashed potatoes? Wondering what to do with them? Make these easy Mashed Potato Cakes. It is a tasty side dish and a great way to use up leftovers. These are so good you’re going to find yourself making mashed potatoes just to make these. Crispy, cheesy, and utterly addictive!
They are fried in butter which gives the outsides a delicious crispy texture. These leftover mashed potato cakes take mashed potatoes to a whole new level.
How To Make Mashed Potato Cakes
- Cook bacon and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in bacon grease.
- In a large bowl, combined mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, bacon, onion/garlic, and salt/pepper, and parsley.
- Heat butter in skillet. Scoop potato mixture into pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side.
How Long Will They Last?
- Room Temperature: Keep at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. The mixture can also be kept in the fridge if you’d like. Reheat fried mashed potato cakes in a hot skillet for the best results. Reheating in the microwave can lead to a soggy texture
- In the Freezer: I do not suggest freezing these. Mashed potatoes do not hold up well in the freezer.
What to Serve With Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes?
This is a great side dish for just about any main dish. It goes fantastic with chicken, beef or pork. Some of the main recipes I like to serve them with are
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Cheeseburger Sliders
- Pork Belly Burnt Ends
- Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole
Mashed Potato Cakes
- 2 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 3/4 Cups Flour
- 8 Strips Bacon Cooked Crisp and Crumbled
- 1 Sweet Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Parsley Finely Chopped
- Butter For Frying
- Green Onions and Sour Cream For Garnish, If Desired
- Fry bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- In 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, bacon, onion ,garlic, salt, pepper and parsley.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-2 tablespoons of butter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop rounds into skillet.
- Lightly press down with a spatula and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Garnish with sour cream and green onions if desired.
What do you think of these mashed potato cakes?