Corn Fritters: Ultra crispy on the outside with the sweet flavor of corn you love on the inside. You’ll be making these all summer long!
Do you love corn fritters? They are such a treat and go great alongside any meal. They are crispy and the outside, super cheesy, and have tender corn on the inside. Unlike hushpuppies, these use corn instead of cornmeal.
If you have a love of old fashioned corn fritters, but think it is too difficult to make at home, you need this recipe. Crunchy and delicious, and SO easy. These are bite sized perfection.
What Are Corn Fritters
Corn fritters are fried patties that are made from corn. They can be deep fried, pan fried and even baked. Corn fritters differ from hush puppies. Corn fritters are made with fresh corn, whereas hush puppies use cornmeal.
Corn Fritter Ingredients
- Corn: I used canned corn. To get 3 cups you’ll about 2 cans. If corn is in season, you can certainly use fresh corn instead.
- Cilantro: You can leave this out or replace with fresh parsley if you’re not a fan.
- Green Onion: This gives a mild sweet onion flavor.
- Jalapeno: This gives a pop of heat. Remove the seeds and membranes if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Lime Juice: Use fresh lime juice for the best results.
- Flour This forms the basis of our batter.
- Baking Powder: Make sure your baking powder is less than a year old, as it will loose its potency as time goes on.
- Salt, Chili Powder, and Pepper: No one wants a bland fritter!
- Eggs: This helps the batter come together
- Milk: I used whole milk.
- Shredded Cheese: I used Monterey jack.
- Oil: Use a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil.
How To Make Corn Fritters
- Make the batter: Combine,corn, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Cook: Heat oil in a large pan. Scoop batter into pan using an ice cream scoop.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve: Garnish with lime juice, sour cream, and green onions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Long Do They Last?
You can store the batter in the refrigerator for up to two days. Once fried, the corn fritters will stay good for up to 3 days, when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I like to place a paper towel between the layers to absorb the extra moisture as well as any grease.
2. How to Reheat Corn Fritters
You can reheat them in a toaster oven, oven or in a frying pan. I do not recommend reheating them in the microwave because this will make them soggy. Heat for 1-2 minutes per side or until warmed.
3. Can You Freeze Them?
Corn fritters are great to freeze. They freeze well and will last up to 3 months. When you bring them out of the freezer, let them thaw in the refrigerator first before reheating.
4. Can You Bake Them Instead of Frying?
Many people like to bake this easy corn fritter recipe instead of frying. While it can be done, it doesn’t give you the same flavor or crispiness that frying does. Air frying is an option if you are trying to make these a bit healthier while still avoiding oil. For the best corn fritters, I recommend frying.
Corn Fritter Tips
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix until just combine. Over mixing can lead to a tough and dense fritter.
- Press down on each side when frying for an ultra crispy fritter. (Just like you do when making hashbrowns.)
- Use your oven set to the keep warm function to keep warm while you finish frying the rest of the batch. This helps keep them nice and toasty until you’re ready to serve.
- Fry using a neutral oil such as canola or vegetable. Olive oil is not a good choice here since it has a low smoke point.
What To Serve With Corn Fritters
Corn fritters make a great tasting side dish to many meals. They are perfect with their sweet and savory flavor. You can serve the corn fritters with chicken, beef or pork. Here are a few of my favorite recipes that will go great with them.
- 3 Cups Corn I used about 2 Cans
- ¼ Cup Cilantro or Parsley Roughly Chopped
- ¼ Cup Green Onion Diced
- 1 Jalapeno Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
- Green Onions, Sour Cream, and Lime Juice If Desired, For Garnish
- In a large bowl, combine corn, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, and lime juice.
- Stir in salt, baking powder, pepper, and chili powder.
- Stir in eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Scoop batter into pan using an ice cream scoop. If you want perfectly round fritters use a mold like this.
- Heat for 3-4 minutes per side, pressing down as you go.
- Drain on paper towels. Garnish with lime juice, sour cream, and green onions if desired.
What do you think of this corn fritter recipe?