Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole: Crunchy tater tots and gooey cheese come together in this easy casserole. Tastes just like a cheeseburger and fries without all the work!
We are big fans of burgers around here. Have you tried cheeseburger tater tot casserole? It cooks up quick and can be made any night of the week. Perfect for busy nights, it is that easy to make.
When I’m trying to make a dinner that is easy to make and everyone will like, cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe is one of my go to recipes. It is always a winner, and even the fussiest eaters will often come back for seconds. It has all the delicious flavor of a burger, without having to fry individual patties.
Craving More Casseroles?
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Ground Beef: I use 90% lean so I don’t even have to drain the fat.
- Sweet Onion
- 6 Slices Bacon, Cooked Crisp
- Mustard: I used yellow mustard. Spicy brown or sweet and hot would also be yummy.
- Butter and flour for our Roux
- Milk: I nearly always use whole milk.
- Salt and Pepper
- Shredded Cheese: I like using sharp cheddar here.
- Tater Tots
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Prep: Preheat oven and grease your pan.
Cook Beef: Brown ground beef and onion. Stir in salt/pepper, ketchup, bacon and mustard. Add to prepared pan.
Make Roux: Melt butter, and stir in flour. Cook until golden brown. Whisk in milk and cook 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese.Pour over beef.
Top It Off: Top with Tater Tots. Top with Shredded Cheese and bake another 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Reheat It? Cheeseburger tater tot casserole is so good, you will want to have it again the next day. If you want to have leftovers to eat the next day, make extra. When you are ready to eat this cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe, you will want to reheat it in the oven at 400. Cover the casserole and heat it until it is warmed through.
Can You Freeze It? You can freeze this recipe before you bake it. Follow all the steps to make cheeseburger tater tot casserole until you are ready to assemble. Freeze the meat mixture separately from the tater tots. I do not freeze this after it has been put together and baked as the tater tots get soggy. It is also great to make 2 at once and freeze one for later!
Should I Cook It Covered Or Uncovered? When making this cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe, I cook it uncovered. If I am reheating it, I cover it so the cheese on top does not get over baked.
Can You Double It?
You can double this recipe. If you are baking it together as a doubled recipe, you will need to check the time. The cooking time varies depending on how much you are making. You can also double this recipe and freeze half of it.
Recipe adapted via My Baking Addiction
What Should I Serve It With?
Bacon cheeseburger tater tot casserole is like eating a cheeseburger and fries. That means, anything you would serve with a cheeseburger is going to taste great with this dish. I like to serve a side salad, coleslaw, or baked beans when I make bacon cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe. Onion rings are also a family favorite.
- Make It Healthier: Use ground chicken or ground turkey instead. Serve with lettuce and tomato.
- Make It Gluten Free:Use gluten free flour to make your roux.
- Make It Vegetarian: Use meat free crumbles such as Boca in place of the ground beef.
- Mix Up the Cheese: Colby, American ,or even pepper jack would be yummy!
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Sweet Onion Diced
- 6 Slices Bacon Cooked Crisp and Crumbled
- ⅔ Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheese Divided
- 1 Bag Tater Tots
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef and onion. Stir in bacon, ketchup, mustard, and salt/pepper to taste. Add to prepared dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour a little at a time. Cook until golden. Stir in milk until fully combined. Season with salt/pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1 ½ cup of cheese. Pour over meat mixture.
- Place tater tots on top of cheese sauce. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
What do you think of this cheeseburger tater tot casserole?