Beef Enchilada Casserole(Last Updated On: August 2, 2020)
Beef Enchilada Casserole: Flavorful beef, melty cheese ,and zesty enchilada sauce come together in this mouth watering casserole. A family favorite that bakes up in just 30 minutes!
Looking for an easy beef enchilada casserole recipe? Look no further. This easy beef enchilada casserole is a delicious dinner idea. It is so good, you might want to make extras!
Casseroles are always a great dinner idea. Beef Enchilada Casserole is easy to make and has great flavors that everyone loves. It makes a great, and inexpensive dinner idea, that heats up well the next day for leftovers. I hope your family love this layered beef enchilada casserole as much as I do!
More Mexican Favorites:
Beef Enchilada Casserole Ingredients
- Ground Beef: It wouldn’t be a beef casserole without the beef!
- Refried Beans
- Enchilada Sauce: I used store bough, but homemade would work too.
- Flour tortillas: If you are looking for a way to make this easy beef enchilada casserole gluten free you can certainly use corn tortillas.
- Green Chiles: Add the perfect amount of spice
- Cheese: I used Monterey Jack.
Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
First, brown beef and onions in a skillet. Next we’re going to layer it up almost like lasagna!
On the bottom of an 8×8 pan we’ll start with sauce then tortillas.
After that top tortillas with 1/3 of the beef, beans, sauce, chilies, and cheese. Repeat three times. Finish with tortillas topped with remaining sauce and cheese.
Bake 30 minutes and enjoy!
What To Serve With Beef Enchilada Casserole
When making beef enchilada casserole, you might wonder what to make to eat with it. I like to make a side salad. It is light and refreshing and goes great with the flavors of the ground beef enchilada casserole. Other Mexican dishes like black beans, rice, and chips & queso blanco pair well too.
What Kind of Toppings Can I Add?
What is great about this ground beef enchilada casserole is that anything you add usually tastes great. If you like it on taco, you will like it on this casserole. I like to add salsa or sour cream after baking. Cheese, diced avocado, and cilantro are amazing too!
Can You Make It Ahead?
I love when I can make a dish ahead of time and bake it the next day. With my beef enchilada casserole dish, you can certainly make it the night before. After assembling the casserole, cover it well and bake it the next day.
Can You Freeze It?
Most casseroles make great freezer meals. To make this casserole to freeze, follow the recipe as written. Once it is assembled, wrap it well with plastic wrap and then cover it again with aluminum foil. It will freeze well for up to three months. It is a great dish to make 2 of. Eat one for dinner and freeze one for later.
- Mix up the protein: Shredded chicken (version here), pork, or even chorizo would taste amazing. You can also make it meat free for a vegetarian entree.
- Beans: Add pinto or black beans to the casserole.
- Spice It Up: Add Jalapenos, Hot Sauce, or pepper jack cheese.
- Add More Veggies: I love Mexican dishes with corn. Bell pepper or olives would be great too!
Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 14 Ounce Can Refried Beans
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 14 Ounce Can Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 Package tortillas (torn to fit into the pan)
- 1 6 Ounce Can Green Chilis
- 2 Cups Monterrey Jack Cheese Shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet cook onions and ground beef. Cook until onion is translucent and beef is no longer pink.
- In an 8x8 baking dish, spread a small amount of enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Layer tortillas on the bottom.
- Spread with beef mixture, refried beans, enchilada sauce, green chilis, and cheese. Repeat process 2-3 times.
- Finish with tortillas, sauce, and cheese on the top layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
This easy beef enchilada casserole is also great to give to someone. Brighten someone’s day with dinner made for them. It is great for when someone has a baby or if they are recovering from an illness. It is also great for a potluck. Everyone will be asking for your recipe because it is that good!
What do you think of this Beef Enchilada Casserole?