Adapted from a recipe in Taste of Home Magazine:June/July 2012
Like most family gatherings ours are filled with delicious food. This often results in us being too full for dessert. However, this light yet flavorful cake goes down easy without being overly sweet. I made it for Memorial Day, but it would be a great choice for 4th of July as well!
- 1 package of White Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Baking Beauty Tip: Don’t worry if water, oil and eggs don’t match what is on the back of your cake box. That’s okay! You’ll be adding extra moisture with the fruit later, and this makes sure your cake won’t get soggy.
Strawberry Gelatin Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (around a carton)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jello
Blueberry Gelatin Ingredients:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons berry blue jello
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Mix cake mix, water, eggs, and oil together.
3. While cakes are cooling in their pans, mix strawberries, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 more minutes until the fruit is soft and mushy. The liquid in the pan should be red at this point. Strain out pulp, and add jello. Cool mixture.
4. Repeat step 3 using blueberries and blue berry jello.
Baking Beauty Tip: Instead of using a skewer like the original recipe recommends, I like to use a wood spoon handle. This allows the mixture to really penetrate the cake.
6. Beat cream until it thickens. Add powdered sugar until soft peaks form.