Beef and Guinness Stew
Beef and Guinness Stew: Tender beef in a savory broth topped with a crunchy cheesy baguette. This comfort food even has a crock pot option!
This is the ultimate beef and Guinness Stew recipe.
This stew has tender beef, caramelized onions, potatoes, and cabbage making it filling enough for a meal.
I like eating my stew with big slices of crusty bread. I took that one step further and made a cheesy crunchy baguette crouton. It is supposed to be made with Irish cheddar but I couldn’t find it at my small town grocery store so I just used mozzarella. (Shhh Don’t tell!)
Delicious Beef and Guinness Stew
I like making this on lazy days on the stove top but it also works great in the crockpot. Just precook your beef/veggies and then dump the whole thing into the Crockpot.
- For the Beef and Guinness Stew
- 1 ½ Pounds Beef Stew Meat, Cut Into Bite Size Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Sweet Onions, Sliced
- 1 Bottle Guinness Draught
- ¾ Teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Large Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- ½ Head Cabbage, Shredded
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Beef Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, Roughly Chopped
- For the Garlic Bread Crouton
- French Baguette, Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 Garlic Clove
- ½ Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- In a large bowl, combine beef with flour. Season generously with salt and black pepper. Toss until well coated.
- In a large stock pot heat a few tablespoons of canola oil over medium high heat. Cook beef a few minutes on each side until browned.
- Set aside,
- In the same pot, add another tablespoon of oil. Cook onions for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour in Guinness. Reduce for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add in onion/garlic powder, herbs de Provence, and garlic. Stir until incorporated.
- Add in beef, potatoes, and cabbage. Stir until just combined.
- Pour in beef stock.
- Simmer with a lid slightly askew for around 1½ hours.
- You could also pour everything into the crockpot for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- For The Garlic Crouton
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush baguette with butter and season with salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crusty.
- Rub with garlic clove and sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
- Putting It All Together
- Top stew with garlic toast crouton and fresh parsley if desired.
Beef and Guinness Stew recipe adapted via The Cozy Apron
Beef and Guinness Stew Shopping Tips:
- When buying beef stew meat look for marbling (ie. fat). This will melt as it cooks making your beef super tender.
Craving more soup recipes?
Stew Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Shipwreck Stew via Love Bakes Good Cakes
Easy Brunswick Stew via A Spicy Southern Kitchen
What do you think of this Beef and Guinness Stew Recipe?