Instant Pot Potato Soup
Instant Pot Potato Soup: Rich and creamy potato soup topped with crispy bacon. Warm comfort food that is quick enough for weeknights!
Looking for a delicious soup recipe? You will love this Instant Pot Potato Soup. It is everything you love about potato soup. Creamy broth, perfectly textured potatoes, all topped with bacon and green onions. It cooks up quick in the Instant Pot in no time!
The Instant Pot is great for making soup if you want a soup that tastes like it has been simmered all day. Using the Instant Pot when making Instant Pot baked potato soup gives you the freedom to not stand over the stove all day.
Craving more soup?
Baked Potato Soup Ingredients
- Potatoes: In this recipe, I use Russet potatoes for the perfect texture and consistency. Yukon Gold would also work well. As you change potatoes, it changes the taste and the consistency of a soup.
- Butter & Flour: Make a roux to thicken our soup.
- Salt & Pepper
- Milk: I like to use whole milk.
- Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- Sour Cream
- Cheese: I love sharp cheddar in this soup.
- Green Onions
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
Cook Potatoes: Place water and trivet in Instant Pot. Cook potatoes on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
Make Roux: Melt butter and whisk in flour a little at a time until smooth.
Make Soup: Add milk and bouillon. Stir until thickened. All sour cream and cheese.
Mash potatoes. Fold in the potatoes, bacon, and green onions. Garnish with bacon and green onion if desired.
Can You Freeze Potato Soup?
While you can freeze Instant Pot cheesy potato soup, it doesn’t taste the same after it has been thawed out. Potatoes tend to get mushy and grainy when you have frozen and thawed. The milk also tends to be watery after freezing.
What Goes With Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Soup?
There are many things that taste great with potato soup. Potato soup pairs well with garlic bread or bread sticks. Of course, potato soup, also, greats great with salad or sandwiches. A grilled cheese, club, or even Reuben would be a tasty choice.
- Add Veggies: Onion, celery, and carrots go great in almost any soup.
- Add Ham: A classic combination!
- Make it Veg: Use Vegetable Bouillon Instead
- Make It In the Crockpot or on the Stove Top
You can make Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup in the Crock Pot or on the stove top if you prefer. The only difference will be the cooking times. It takes much longer to make loaded potato soup on the stove top, and several hours in the slow cooker. However, if you’re going to be out of the house for the day, it would be a great meal to come home to!
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 Pounds Potatoes, Scrubbed and Peeled
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 4 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 3 Green Onions, Sliced
- Bacon, 8 Slices Cooked Crisp and Crumbled
- Cover with lid, and make sure the pressure valve is sealed. Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Set potatoes aside, and discard water.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Melt the butter and whisk in one tablespoon of flour at a time until smooth. Add in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Once bubbling, pour in milk and Better than Bouillon. Whisk occasionally until thickened.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the keep warm setting. Stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Finally, mash the potatoes with a potato masher to your desired texture. Fold in the potatoes, bacon, and green onions.
Recipe adapted via 365 Days of Crockpot
Make this delicious Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup recipe for a cold winter night or a night when you just need some warm comfort food. With this Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup, you don’t have to plan ahead as it’s ready in no time!
What do you think of this Instant Pot Potato Soup?