Guinness Beef Stew: Tender beef in a savory broth topped with a crunchy cheesy baguette. This comfort food even has a crock pot option!
This is the ultimate beef and Guinness Stew recipe.
This stew has tender beef, caramelized onions, potatoes, and cabbage making it filling enough for a meal.
I like eating my stew with big slices of crusty bread. I took that one step further and made a cheesy crunchy baguette crouton. It is supposed to be made with Irish cheddar but I couldn’t find it at my small town grocery store so I just used mozzarella. (Shhh Don’t tell!)
Guinness Beef Stew
I like making this on lazy days on the stove top but it also works great in the crockpot. Just precook your beef/veggies and then dump the whole thing into the Crockpot.
Guinness Beef Stew
For the Beef and Guinness Stew
- 1 ½ Pounds Beef Stew Meat Cut Into Bite Size Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Sweet Onions Sliced
- 1 Bottle Guinness Draught
- ¾ Teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Large Potatoes Peeled and Diced
- ½ Head Cabbage Shredded
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Beef Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley Roughly Chopped
For the Garlic Bread Croutons
- 1 Whole French Baguette Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter Melted
- 1 Garlic Clove
- ½ Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
For the Beef Stew
- In a large bowl, combine beef with flour. Season generously with salt and black pepper. Toss until well coated.
- In a large stock pot heat a few tablespoons of canola oil over medium high heat. Cook beef a few minutes on each side until browned.
- Set aside,
- In the same pot, add another tablespoon of oil. Cook onions for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour in Guinness. Reduce for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add in onion/garlic powder, herbs de Provence, and garlic. Stir until incorporated.
- Add in beef, potatoes, and cabbage. Stir until just combined.
- Pour in beef stock.
- Simmer with a lid slightly askew for around 1 ½ hours.
- You could also pour everything into the crockpot for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
For The Garlic Crouton
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush baguette with butter and season with salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crusty.
- Rub with garlic clove and sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
- Top stew with garlic toast crouton and fresh parsley if desired.
Beef and Guinness Stew recipe adapted via The Cozy Apron
Beef and Guinness Stew Shopping Tips:
- When buying beef stew meat look for marbling (ie. fat). This will melt as it cooks making your beef super tender.
Craving more soup recipes?
What do you think of this Beef and Guinness Stew Recipe?