Sonic Ocean Water Recipe: The most gorgeous and refreshing summer drink around! The perfect non alcoholic drink for picnics or the Fourth of July.
Looking for an easy non alcoholic drink for Summer? Look no further! This Sonic Ocean Water recipe is perfect! It’s subtle tropical flavor and gorgeous blue color make it perfect for sipping poolside! Love blue? Check out my Blue Margaritas too! It would also be a hit for the 4th of July, Memorial Day, or any summer picnic.
Sonic has a plethora of refreshing beverages. Cherry Limeade, Milkshakes, and let’s not forget their Slushies. However, my all time favorite has to be the Sonic Ocean Water drink.
What Is Ocean Water?
Ocean water gets its name because of its beautiful blue color. Doesn’t it just remind you of bright blue waves? I’ll admit it is kind of a weird name. Anyone who has ever been to the beach knows it is not something you want to get in your mouth!
Luckily our recipe resembles its namesake looks only. This bright blue beverage has a bright lemon lime flavor with a coconut backdrop.
Ingredient Note and Shopping Tips
Wondering what is in this delicious blue drink? You only need 5 common ingredients.
- White Sugar
- Coconut Extract: This is found in the spice aisle near the Vanilla. I know a teaspoon doesn’t sound like much, but take it easy with this stuff. It it very strong, and a little goes a long way.Die hard coconut fan? Start with 1 teaspoon, and add more to taste. You can always add more, but you can’t take it out!
- Lemon Lime Soda: Sprite is my favorite soda ,and I always have it in the house. (You’d think I wouldn’t drink sugar when I eat it all day, but nom nom slurp slurp). Any bubbly soda would work fine here though like Sierra Mist ,or 7 Up.
- Blue Food Coloring: This is optional, but very highly encouraged.
I also like to serve mine with ice. Swedish Fish are also super cute and fun especially for kids!
Want to turn kick it up a notch? Try replacing the coconut extract with a shot (or 2!) of coconut rum! I won’t tell! 😉
How To Make Ocean Water
This recipe is so easy to make. In fact, I be you can whip it up in your own kitchen faster than the rollerskating waitresses can bring it to your car!
Maybe I should prepare it while wearing roller skates.
First, we’re going to make the easiest simple syrup ever. All you need is a microwave safe bowl,and equal parts sugar/water.
Then I like to mix in the other 3 ingredients in a punch bowl. This recipe makes two drinks but can easily by doubled, tripled, or turned into a party punch!
Finally, I serve mine in a tall glass full of ice. It tastes just as refreshing as it looks! Cheers!
This easy recipe can easily be customized to suit your tastes. Here is one I’ve tried:
- Pineapple Extract: Not a fan of coconut? Feel free to swap out the coconut extract for another of your choice. Pineapple is my favorite because it gives me the same tropical summer vibe.
I’m going to be making this Sonic Ocean Water a lot as our local Sonic went out of business! 🙁 It was actually replaced by a Starbucks which is kind of disappointing. There is a Starbucks on every corner around here. However, happy hour and cheesy tots are harder to come by. I’m so glad I have this Copycat recipe!
Copycat Sonic Ocean Water Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 3 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Extract
- 2 12 Ounce Cans Lemon Lime Soda (I used Sprite)
- Blue Food Coloring
- In a small microwave safe bowl stir water and sugar together. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into a pitcher or punch bowl. Stir in soda, coconut extract, and food coloring.
- Serve over ice.
Adapted via: Fake Ginger
You may also enjoy:
Non Alcoholic Patriotic Cocktail
Copycat Starbucks Strawberry and Cream Frappuccino
This is my kid’s favorite drink! It’s great idea to make them at home!
This ocean water sounds so good!!!
Erin | Dinners, Dishes and Dessert says
This Sonic Ocean Water looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
Perfectly refreshing! Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to make it again!
Cool and refreshing on all the hot days we’re having. What a great color! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Allyson Zea says
I’ve never tried this, but it looks so good! I can’t wait to make it with my kids!