Bubble Gum Ice Cream(Last Updated On: August 3, 2020)
Bubble Gum Ice Cream: Rich and creamy ice cream that tastes just like your childhood. Easy to make, and loved by kids of all ages!
Summers for me were spent running around with my friends. Sometimes they would come to my house and at other times we’d be at their houses. No matter where we were though, we loved it when the ice cream man came around. The moment you heard the music you ran looking for money or begging your parents for some. One of my favorite things to buy was the Screwball, it was a form of ice cream with a gumball at the bottom. This bubble gum ice cream bring back memories of the tinkling ice cream man song, and that cold treat!
This bubblegum ice cream recipe is so good and if you have kids, I guarantee they are going to love it too.
Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe
This bubble gum ice cream recipe is easy peasy because it’s no churn. One word comes to mind, whimsical. You can’t eat it without a smile. Dare ya to try! 🙂
Start with a mixer and beat your heavy whipping cream until it’s thickened up. Then add in your vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk and bubble gum oil. Fold it in until it’s smooth. Next, add in your food coloring and stir. Finally, pour the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container and sprinkle the top with your chopped bubble gum balls.
Freeze it for five to six hours or overnight. When you’re ready to serve it, allow it to sit out on the counter for five to ten minutes to soften.
Bubble Gum Ice Cream Variations
1. Can I Make it Blue Instead? You sure can. You can make your ice cream any color you’d like to. Everyone loves blue!I love things that you can make your own and choosing your coloring is one small way to do that. Feel free to experiment and include your kids. They’ll love it.
2. Can I use Other Candies? There are so many candies you can use in ice cream. Other candies that go well in this ice cream are: jellybeans (try Jelly Belly’s Bubble Gum flavor!), gummy bears, Chicklets, or sweet tarts. Sprinkles are also always a welcome addition!
3. Are there any Substitutions for Bubble Gum Oil? You can also use actual bubblegum! Simply blend it with your other ingredients in a blender, and strain through a fine mesh strainer before freezing. You could also use bubble gum extract, but you may need more to reach your desired flavor so taste as you go.
Bubblegum Ice Cream History
- When was Bubble Gum Ice Cream Invented?While I couldn’t quite find an exact answer. I can tell you that Baskin-Robbins made their bubble gum ice cream flavor in 1970 and by the mid-70s ice cream trucks were serving Screwballs across the country. Bubble gum itself was invented in the 40s so it was only a matter of time until the two childhood favorites would find each other.
- Who Invented Bubble Gum Ice Cream? From everything I’ve read, it appears that Baskin-Robbins came up with the concoction in 1970.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I Eat the Bubble Gum in the Ice Cream? Yes! You can chew the bubble gum in this homemade bubble gum ice cream. I like saving it to the end! Just make sure to watch smaller children. This may not be the best ice cream for those that are really young.
2. Why Should I use Gel vs. Liquid Food Dye? While both will color food, in this case I like gel. It is thicker, and will give you a bright pink color with only a small amount.
If you’re craving a taste of childhood ,or if you want to introduce your children to what will surely be one of their all time favorite summer flavors then this bubblegum ice cream recipe is for you.
Bubble Gum Ice Cream
- In a large bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until thickened. Then pour in sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and bubble gum oil. Fold into until smooth.
- Stir in food coloring until you reach your desired shade.
- Pour into a freezer safe container, and sprinkle with chopped gum balls.
- Freeze for at least 5-6 hours You can also freeze it overnight.
- Before enjoying, soften on the counter for 5-10 minutes.
Ice Cream Recipes From Blogs I Love:
Chocolate Ice Cream via Chew Out Loud
Strawberry Ice Cream via A Latte Food
Raspberry Ice Cream via Small Town Woman
Coffee Ice Cream via Simply Recipes
What do you think of this Bubble gum ice cream? What is your favorite ice cream flavor?