Eggplant Lasagna: Crispy eggplant layered with creamy cheese and a flavorful sauce. Italian comfort food at its best!
One of my favorite family suppers is lasagna. As the weather cools down, I crave this comfort food more than anything else.
I have fond memories of the smell of tomatoes and herbs wafting through the house all day long while homemade sauce simmered.
To speed up this Sunday supper I used Mezetta’s homemade pasta sauce. I love that it’s made with hand selected plum tomatoes and no added sugar.
It comes in many unique and yummy flavors like tomato and sweet basil and roasted garlic & carmelized onions. For this vegetarian eggplant lasagna, I chose to use the Sweet Basil variety. It really drives home the fresh herbs I used in the recipe.
Less time fussing around with homemade sauce=more family time! Easy eggplant lasagna for the win!
I also swapped out the traditional pasta for fried eggplant. Try using gluten free bread crumbs for a yummy gluten free dinner too!
More Italian Favorites
- 8 Eggs Divided
- 2 Eggplants Peeled and Sliced Thin
- 1 15 Ounce Container Italian-Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Each Vegetable and Olive Oil Divided
- 1 Lb Cremini Mushrooms Sliced (If Desired)
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Oregano Chopped and Divided
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme Chopped and Divided
- 2 Lbs Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese Divided
- 2 Jars Mezetta Pasta Sauce I used Tomato and Sweet Basil
- 1 8-Oz. Package Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, whip 5 eggs together. Dip eggplant into eggs and then into bread crumbs. Coat completely.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat ½ cup of vegetable oil and ½ cup of olive oil. Cook eggplant slices a few at a time until golden brown (~2-3 minutes per side). Transfer to paper towels. Switch out your oil around halfway through.
- In a skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of. olive oil until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, 1 Tbsp. Oregano,½ Tbsp. Thyme, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook for 1-2 more minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, 3 eggs, ½ Cup grated parmesan, mushrooms, and remaining herbs.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with sauce. Layer eggplant on top of sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with ½ of the ricotta mixture, and one cup of sauce. Repeat.
- For the final layer, add remaining eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Remove foil for the last 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving if desired.
Adapted via Great Ideas
Want to try my cheesy eggplant lasagna recipe? Be sure to leave me a comment or tag me on Instagram. I’d love to know what you think!
What do you think of this eggplant parmesan lasagna? How would you like to try Mezetta’s homemade pasta sauces?