Beer Battered Cod(Last Updated On: August 25, 2020)
Beer Battered Cod: Amazingly crisp on the outside yet juicy and flaky on the inside . Quicker and tastier than your local fish fry.
Beer Battered Cod is the best fried fish I’ve ever tasted!
The beer’s carbonation makes the batter super light and airy. However, it still has a great crunch. You’ll physically hear it when you bite into these bad boys.
Don’t worry if you don’t like the taste of beer, it cooks out when you fry these.
Fish and chips are traditionally served with malt vinegar over the top. However I like mine with a squeeze of lemon and a generous amount of tartar sauce.
Beer Battered Cod Recipe
Adapted via Chef George Hirsch
Beer Battered Cod
- 1 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour Divided
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce If Desired
- 1 Cup Beer
- 2 Pounds of Cod Fillet Cut Into Strips
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs and hot sauce.
- Slowly pour in beer. Stir constantly with a whisk until the batter is smooth and no longer foamy.
- In a large stock pot or cast iron skillet heat 2-3 inches of oil to 370 degrees F.
- Dip cod strips into remaining flour. Shake off any excess.
- Then dip into beer batter.
- Carefully drop fish one piece at a time into the hot oil. Cook until brown on both sides, turning only once.
- Drain on paper towels.
Beer Battered Cod Shopping Tips:
- Cook with whatever beer you like to drink. I used Guinness because it’s what I had on hand.
- If you don’t use alcohol, seltzer water will give you a similar light, airy texture.
- If you can’t find cod, halibut or would also work great.
Looking for more easy dinner recipes?
Cod Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Lemon Panko Crusted Fish via Grandbaby Cakes
Maple Mustard Cod via Cotter Crunch
Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Cod via Cooking and Curls
What do you think of this beer battered cod? What is your favorite kind of fish?