Eggplant Lasagna: Crispy eggplant layered with creamy cheese and a flavorful sauce. Italian comfort food at its best!
- 8 Eggs, Divided
- 2 Eggplants, Peeled and Sliced Thin
- 1 15 Ounce Container Italian-Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Each Vegetable and Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Lb Cremini Mushrooms, Sliced (If Desired)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Oregano, Chopped and Divided
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme, Chopped and Divided
- 2 Lbs Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, Divided
- 2 Jars Mezetta Pasta Sauce, I used Tomato and Sweet Basil
- 1 8-Oz. Package Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil Leaves
Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, whip 5 eggs together. Dip eggplant into eggs and then into bread crumbs. Coat completely.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of olive oil. Cook eggplant slices a few at a time until golden brown (~2-3 minutes per side). Transfer to paper towels. Switch out your oil around halfway through.
In a skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of. olive oil until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, 1 Tbsp. Oregano,½ Tbsp. Thyme, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook for 1-2 more minutes. Cool.
In a large bowl combine ricotta, 3 eggs, 1/2 Cup grated parmesan, mushrooms, and remaining herbs.
Coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with sauce. Layer eggplant on top of sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and one cup of sauce. Repeat.
For the final layer, add remaining eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Remove foil for the last 10-15 minutes.
Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving if desired.
Calories: 359kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 25g, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 232mg, Sodium: 358mg, Potassium: 722mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 19.3%, Vitamin C: 6.9%, Calcium: 42.7%, Iron: 11.8%