Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe aka Queso Soup: Creamy, cheesy potato soup with a spicy kick. Ever wanted to eat Queso with a spoon, now you can!
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, Diced
- 1 Sweet Onion, Diced
- 3 Poblano Peppers, Seeds Removed, Finely Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Half of a 20 ounce Bag of Frozen Southwestern Style Hash brown Potatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt, To Taste
- <b> To Garnish </b> Chopped Red Bell Pepper, Red Onion, and Blue Tortilla Chips
In a large stock pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add in bell pepper, onion, and poblano peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are beginning to soften.
Add garlic and cumin ,and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Stir in potatoes and cook for 5-7 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Pour in chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and summer for 25-30 minutes stirring frequently.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, milk, and half and half. Turn up heat on soup to medium and stir in milk mixture. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
Stir in cheese and cook until melted, stirring constantly.
Add all the shredded cheese and cook on low, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
Garnish with additional bell pepper, onion, or tortilla chips if desired.