Wonton Tacos: Crispy crunchy wontons filled with flavorful chicken and creamy slaw. Sure to become your new favorite Taco Tuesday recipe!
Eating chicken wonton tacos for dinner sounds like a pretty good idea, right? And while you might be tempted to run to curbside pickup for some Applebees’ wonton tacos, they are so easy to make at home. Don’t get me wrong Applebees’ chicken wonton tacos are pretty darn good! However, when you make at home you can control the ingredients and customize to your heart’s content!
Chicken wonton tacos are crispy crunchy, and quick to make too. In just a few short minutes, you’ll be loving life as you chow down. They work great as an appetizer, or even a main dish. This wonton taco recipe won’t disappoint.
Wonton Tacos Ingredients
- Stir Fry Sauce: This adds great flavor to many dishes with strong notes of soy sauce, garlic, and sesame. Here we’ll use it to flavor our chicken, but it also goes great with vegetables, beef, or even pork.
- Sesame Vinaigrette: We’ll also use this to flavor our chicken. It also tastes amazing on salads and slaws.
- Olive Oil
- Coleslaw Dressing: Feel free to make any of the sauces from scratch if you prefer. For quick and easy dinners I love using what is already in my pantry!
- Soy Sauce: I like to serve with extra soy sauce for drizzling or dipping.
- Teriyaki Sauce: A glossy sauce that is part sweet, part umami.
- Green Onions
- Cooked Chicken: Grilled, poached, or rotisserie would all work well here.
- Shredded Cabbage: This is for our slaw topping. You can also grab a bagged coleslaw mix from the store if you’d like.
- Wonton Wrappers: Look for these in the produce section of your local grocery store near the Tofu.
Chicken Wonton Tacos Recipe
- Make the Wonton Shells: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush wontons with olive oil. Drape over pan to form a shell. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make the Chicken: In a large skillet, combine stir fry sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and ¾ of the dressing. Heat until warmed through.
- Make the Slaw: In a medium bowl, combine cabbage and coleslaw dressing.
- Assemble: Fill wonton shells with chicken, and slaw. Top with cilantro, green onions, and more vinaigrette.
Can You Make Them Ahead?
You can do some of the prep work ahead, but wait to cook them until you’re ready to eat them. The taste and texture are just so much better fresh. Go ahead and do whatever prep you can, but cook the wonton tacos as close to mealtime as possible.
What To Serve With Copycat Applebee’s Wonton Tacos
Typical Mexican and Chinese side dishes work great here. Some of my favorite options are:
- Cheese Taco Shells
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Fried Rice
- Homemade Egg Rolls (I love Southwest Eggrolls for more fun fusion cuisine).
- Pork Dumplings
- Crab Rangoon
- ¼ Cup Stir Fry Sauce
- ½ Cup Sesame Vinaigrette Dressing Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Coleslaw Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce
- 12 Wonton Wrappers
- 4 Tablespoons Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 2 ½ Cups Cooked Chicken
- 2 Cups Coleslaw Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush wonton wrappers with olive oil. Drape over the side of a casserole dish. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- In a large skillet, combine chicken, stir fry sauce, 6 tablespoons of sesame dressing, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce. Cook until warmed through.
- In a medium bowl, combine coleslaw mix and dressing.
- Divide chicken and slaw mixture evenly between wonton tacos. Top with cilantro, green onions, and remaining sesame dressing.
If you’re looking for a simple and delicious dinner idea, these chicken wonton tacos fit the bill. Not only do they have a unique taste and texture but they’ll bring some excitement and newness back to the dinner table as well!