Test post for related recipes(Last Updated On: August 11, 2020)
Chicken Fried Steak: Tender steak is triple dipped in an ultra crispy batter, and then topped with a creamy white gravy. The best Southern comfort food ever!
We love fried food around here such as deep fried pickles, and my personal favorite Deep Fried Mac and Cheese. This chicken fried steak is no exception. It features tender cube steak in the crispiest batter drizzled with a rich white gravy.
Custom Title for Post Block1
I’m posting it memory of my Grandpa Fred this Father’s Day as it was one of his favorites.
It makes a great supper when you’re craving comfort food. We also love serving it with eggs and grits for breakfast!
What Is Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken Fried Steak is a piece of cube steak that is battered and fried just like fried chicken. It has all the same flavors as fried chicken, but in steak form!
Why Is it Called Chicken Fried Steak?
Chicken fried steak is named as such because it is made the same way that traditional fried chicken is made. The steak is breaded and then fried just like chicken is.
Chicken Fried Steak Ingredients
- Cube Steak: Cube steak is usually made from top round or top sirloin that is tenderized and flattened. Cube steak is a very tender cut of meat, which is why it is perfect for easy chicken fried steak.
- All Purpose Flour
- Seasoning Salt: No one wants a bland batter!
- Baking Powder: This helps the batter rise, leading to a light crispy texture.
- Milk: The natural sugar is milk lead to a tender steak with a golden brown crust.
- Eggs: Eggs help the batter stick to the steak.
- Worcestershire Sauce
For the Gravy:
- Milk: Use whole milk for the best results.
- Salt/Pepper: Season each layer of your food for a flavorful final result.
How To Make Chicken Fried Steak
- Prep Work: Pat steaks dry, and pound thin.
- Make the Batter: In a large shallow bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and seasoning salt. In another large shallow bowl, combine milk, eggs, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Dip: Dip in flour, then eggs, and then flour again.
- Fry: Heat about 1/4 inch of oil to 375 degrees. Fry one or two at a time for 1-2 minutes per side. Dry on paper towels.
- For the Gravy: In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour. Pour in milk, and whisk until thickened. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Pour gravy over steaks and enjoy!
Chicken Fried Steak Tips
- Fry using a neutral oil such as vegetable, canola, or peanut oil. Olive oil is not a good choice for frying due to its low smoke point.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. This will lower the temperature of the oil leading to greasy, soggy steak.
- If making a large batch, use the keep warm setting on your oven to keep everything nice and toasty until ready to serve.
- Triple Dip: For the crispiest steaks ever we dip them in flour three times. This leads to the perfect thick and crunchy coating we all know and love.
- Pound: Pound your steak in plastic wrap to tenderize it. A thinner steak will be more tender. If you don’t have a meat tenderizer use a rolling pin instead.
What To Serve With Chicken Fried Steak
Some of my favorite side dishes are:
Chicken Fried Steak
For the Steak
For the Gravy
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 3/4 Cup Milk
- Salt/Pepper To Taste
For The Steaks
- Pound cube steaks, and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large shallow bowl combine, flour, seasoned salt, and baking powder. In another large shallow bowl, combine milk, eggs, and or Worcestershire sauce.
- Dip steaks in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then flour mixture again.
- In a large dutch oven heat about 1/4 an inch of oil to 375 degrees. Fry one or two at a time for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
For the Gravy
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk and stir until thickened. Season with salt/pepper.
- Serve over steaks, and enjoy!
What do you think of this chicken fried steak recipe?