Sweet and Spicy Rice Bowl: Smoky sausage, sweet pineapple, and spicy peppers come together in this hearty dish! Ready on your stovetop in 20 minutes or less!
This post is sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. and Mars Food, Inc. All comments and opinions are my own.
On busy weeknights, we are tempted to pop over to our favorite Mexican or Asian restaurants for a bowl. Easy, quick, and so satisfying!
However, eating out is expensive and not always the healthiest thing to do. These sweet and spicy rice bowls are my new go-to meal.
Easy Fall Dinner
a. Easy: These are made in the microwave and on the stove top. No cooking raw meat, or waiting for an oven to preheat!
b. Quick: From start to finish, these take less than 20 minutes, making them the perfect fall meal solution. Hillshire Farm® Beef Smoked Sausage is such a time saver for busy weeknights. It pairs perfectly with Uncle Ben’s® Ready Rice® Jasmine that cooks up in 90 seconds in the microwave! They are truly the perfect pairing for a quick fall supper!
c. Satisfying: The protein from the sausage and bulk from the veggies keep me energized for my always busy evenings.
d. Delicious: Finally, it is just plain delicious. Smoky sausage, tangy pineapple, and spicy jalapeños are an award-winning combination!
Bonus: These heat up beautifully! In the fall, we’re often eating on different schedules. If Dad is coming home late or your dear son is at practice, it will taste just as good when they get home.
It also makes wonderful leftovers for lunch. Make your coworkers jealous!
I picked up both my rice and sausage at Target. Let’s be honest–I’m going to come out of there with a basket full of makeup, home decor (my favorite), and dog toys I don’t really “need.” Why not pick up two things you really need for an easy meal solution?
Sausage Rice Bowl Ingredients
It is already cooked and perfectly spiced, so all we have to do is get some beautiful char and heat it through. I found mine near the pre-packaged lunch meat in the refrigerated case.
It cooks up perfectly every time while we chop our veggies! I found mine on the second from the top shelf in the dry goods aisle.
Onion and Bell Peppers: Use whatever color you like: the more colorful, the better. Slice them thinly so they cook up quicker! If you’re really in a rush, you could use precut onions/peppers from the grocery store.
Jalapeño Peppers: Remove the ribs and the seeds if you prefer less heat.
Pineapple: There is nothing like fresh pineapple on the grill! If you are in a hurry, pre-sliced pineapple would be fine. I would not recommend canned though as there is too much liquid.
2 Cups Salsa Verde: A perfect blend of tomatillos, cilantro, and spice. This premade version adds such a pop of flavor.
Sausage Rice Bowl Recipe
- Microwave Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Jasmine.
- Cook peppers and pineapple in a grill pan until softened.
- In a large saucepan, cook onions and Hillshire Farms sausage.
- Then add pineapple, sausage, and salsa verde to your cooked vegetable mixture.
- Serve over rice, and garnish if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you freeze it? Yes, this recipe freezes beautifully. Hello, best meal prep idea ever! Freeze in individual containers and reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. When microwaving, I like to add a few teaspoons of water or broth to help everything come together again.
- Can you make it ahead of time? You sure can! It reheat beautifully and tastes even better as all the flavors meld together. Just reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before serving, adding a little water or broth as needed. Leftovers last great for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- How do you cut a pineapple? Fresh pineapple is so amazing. If you haven’t tried it, you are seriously missing out! All you really need is a nice sharp knife. Start by cutting off the green top. Then slice off the brown skin on each side. Then I like to cut it into halves and then quarters before removing the core for each portion. Finally, I cut the quarters in half again, which leaves us 8 spears perfect for this recipe!
- What is jasmine rice? Jasmine rice is a long grain white rice. It has a slightly nutty aroma and flavor. I like using it in these bowls because it is slightly sticky in texture. This makes it perfect for scooping up by the spoonful!
More Rice Recipes To Try
Sweet and Spicy Rice Bowl
- 2 Packages Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Jasmine
- 1 Package Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage
- 2 Bell Peppers Thinly Sliced
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers Finely Diced
- 1 Pineapple Sliced
- 1 Red Onion Finely Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Salsa Verde
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- Cilantro and Lime If Desired to Garnish
- In a large cast iron grill pan, preheat olive oil over medium high heat. Microwave Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Jasmine according to the package directions.
- Cook bell peppers, jalapeño, and pineapple until softened.
- In a large skillet, cook onions and Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage.
- Add pineapple, sausage, and salsa verde to pepper mixture until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour rice into bowls and top with meat and vegetables. Garnish with lime juice and cilantro if desired.
Overall, this sweet and spicy rice bowl is a home run in our house for busy fall weeknights. It is easy, flavorful, and something the whole family will enjoy. Each bite is different and delicious. Try it soon, and let me know what you think!
What do you think of this sweet and spicy rice bowl? What is your favorite thing to make with Uncle Ben’s rice or Hillshire Farm sausage?