Sun Dried Tomato Pasta: Flavorful sausage tossed in a decadent sun dried tomato cream sauce. This pasta is lick your plate clean good! Serve alongside garlic knots for the perfect meal.
When I’m craving pasta, this dish is my go to. This Sun Dried Tomato pasta is delicious, creamy, and so easy to make too! It combines flavorful andouille sausage and a rich cream sauce all made on your stove top. This is going to be a dish you make over and over again.
This Sun Dried tomato pasta recipe is one of my favorites, I hope it becomes one of yours too! Love noodles as much as I do? Be sure to also try our buffalo chicken pasta, chipotle pasta ,and Pasta Al Forno too.
How To Make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Make Pasta: Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Cook Sausage: Cook sausage until browned.
- Make the Sauce: Melt butter, and cook garlic. Stir in flour, and then broth. Finally, stir in heavy cream, spices, cheese, and tomatoes.
- Combine pasta with sauce, and sausage. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Are Sun Dried Tomatoes?
Sun dried tomatoes tomatoes are just what they sound like: Tomatoes that have been dehydrated in the sun. They are usually made of plum tomatoes, and are sweet & chewy. They’re great in salads, on pizza, and of course in pasta. Even people who are not fans of tomatoes love sun dried tomatoes. When they are mixed into our homemade cream sauce, the tomatoes rehydrate, and add a little something extra to our recipe. You can even make your own sun dried tomatoes if you’d like.
2. What Is Andouille Sausage?
Andouille is a spicy pork sausage that is usually associated with cajun cuisine. It is a dry sausage. Generally, the drier the sausage the better the flavor. It is my go to for this recipe, but smoke sausage or even turkey kielbasa could be used instead if you’d prefer.
3. Should I Use Dry Or Oil Packed Sun Dried Tomatoes?
For this recipe, I suggest using sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. You can just drain, and throw right into the pan. If using dry tomatoes, be sure to rehydrate in water for ~30 minutes first. They’ll work fine in this dish, it will just take you longer to get dinner on the table.
How Long Does It Last?
- At Room Temperature: Keep at room temperature for 2 hours at most. Be sure to refrigerate after 2 hours.
- In The Fridge: It will last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Freezing: Cream sauces can be tricky to freeze. For the best results, I suggest freezing as soon as possible after cooking. Store in an air tight container, or in a freezer baggie.
- To Reheat: Thaw overnight ,and then reheat in a dutch oven stirring frequently.
- Mix Up The Meat: Chicken or shrimp would also be great here. You can use any variety of sausage you prefer as well.
- Add More Veggies: Add any veggies you like. Diced onion, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, or spinach would all be lovely.
- Make It Vegetarian: Use veggie “sausage”, and vegetable broth instead.
- Mix Up The Pasta: Any pasta that holds sauce well such as rotini or cavatappi would work. You can even use fresh refrigerated pasta to cut down on cooking time as well.
- Make It Gluten Free: Use gluten free pasta. Be sure to check the labels of all ingredients to ensure they are gluten free as well.
What To Serve With Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 2 ½ Cups Penne Pasta Uncooked
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Links Andouille Sausage Cut Into Coins
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic Finely Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅓ Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes In Olive Oil Drained and Roughly Chopped
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta in salted water according to box directions.
- In a large dutch oven heat olive oil. Cook sausage until browned.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter. Add garlic and cook for ~1 minute. . Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for ~1 more minute. Add in chicken broth, stirring constantly until combined.
- Stir in heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper to taste. Heat stirring constantly for ~2 minutes.
- Combine pasta, sausage, and sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired.
What do you think of this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta? What is your favorite pasta recipe?