Pepperoni Pizza Cake: The ultimate deep dish: layers of cheese and pepperoni piled high in a hearty crust, so you can have your cake and pizza too!
This Pepperoni Pizza Cake takes pizza to the next level. Seriously this is epic! Layers and layers gooey cheese, spicy pepperoni, and sauce come together. SO good! Best savory cake ever. The best sweet cake recipe every can be found here!
It’s also much easier than it looks! This is the perfect cake for “those” people who don’t like birthday cake. I know I know, I’m shocked they exist too. More for us. 😉
Pizza Cake Ingredients
For the Dough:
Pizza Yeast: For the best results use pizza yeast. It doesn’t require any time to rise (yay!!), and helps make the dough easier to roll out as well.
Sugar: Don’t leave this out it gives our yeast buddies something to nomnom!
For the Pizza Cake:
Pizza Sauce: Use your favorite brand. My go to is Del Grosso’s Pappy Freds. Homemade pizza sauce would also be wonderful.
Mozzarella Cheese: If you have the time consider grating your own. I find it gives a much better (and ooey gooier) melt.
Other Topping Ideas
For this recipe I kept it classic with just cheese and pepperoni. You could certainly do an all cheese pie too , or we can be more adventurous.
- The Carnivore: Pepperoni, bacon, sausage, and ham
- Hawaiian: Ham and pineapple
- Veggie Delight: Onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and black olives
- Taco: Seasoned ground beef, jack cheese, topped with lettuce & tomato
Pizza Cake Recipe
First, we need to make our pizza dough. This is our classic no rise pizza dough. It starts out with flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Then we add water, and flour until it comes together. Next, we’ll knead it with our fingers for around 5 minutes or until it is no longer sticky.
It is important for this recipe to divide the dough into 5 equal portions. You don’t want to get to the last layer and have none left! 🙂
The first portion of dough should line the sides of the pan. These will serve as our walls. Yessss pizza walls!
For the remaining 4 portions of dough we want to roll and cut out 4 circles. We’ll bake these first to ensure our dough is not soggy.
After that, it is time to layer up the sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Top with one final layer of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni on top just like a traditional pizza.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. For the best results cool slightly before serving.
What Size Pan To Use With Pizza Cake
For this recipe I used a 9″ springform pan. This allows for a tall pizza cake, and easy removal. Imagine the oohs and aahs on your family’s faces when you deliver this to the table.
What To Serve With Pizza Cake
Is this the part of the blog post where I’m supposed to write about how this is a heavy meal and you should serve it with a crisp green salad? I mean yeah that would be fine I guess. Pssst lettuce eater pass me the ranch for dipping please.
If you know me you know I’ll probably serve this up with some garlic breadsticks, cheese stuffed garlic knots, or maybe even mozzarella sticks. You can never have too much cheese. That is my motto and I’m sticking to it! A balanced diet is a pizza cake slice in both hands right?!
Can I Use Pre made Pizza Dough
You could use premade dough here, but it is not something I’d suggest. Premade pizza dough tends to not hold its shape as well making cutting/rolling trickier. In addition, it breaks and tears easier leaving your pizza cake prone to holes. I am all for shortcuts, and I love canned crescent rolls. However, in this case it really is best to bake it from scratch.
- For the Pizza Dough
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt together. Add 1 cup of the warm water and oil. Mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining flour/water alternating a little at a time.
- Knead on a floured surface with greased hands for 4-6 minutes or until dough no longer sticks to your fingers.
- Divide dough into 5 equal portions. Use one portion of dough to line the sides, but not the bottom of the pan. This will serve as the sides of your cake.
- Roll out remaining dough portions one at a time. Cut out (4) 5 inch rounds using a cookie cutter or large glass.
- Bake circles of dough for around 15 minutes in your preheated oven.
- Line a springform pan or cake cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place one dough round in the bottom of your pan. Top with a generous amount of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni.
- Top with the next layer of dough and repeat the process ending with an extra layer of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Adapted via: So Good Blog
Pizza Recipes from Blogs I Heart:
Pepperoni Pizza Alfredo Dip Pepperoni Pizza Alfredo Dip
Sloppy Joe Pizza Shugary Sweets
Thai Chicken Pizza via Spicy Southern Kitchen
What do you think of this Pepperoni Pizza Cake? What are your favorite pizza toppings?