Mexican Lasagna: Saucy beef, and gooey cheese sandwiched between layers of noodles. Combine your 2 favorite cuisines in this easy comfort food.
There’s just something special and delightful about this easy Mexican Lasagna. We all know the classic lasagna that our mom’s used to make, but this recipe takes the flavor to another level. It is the ultimate comfort food: Spicy, cheesy, and of course pasta yum!
When I think of an easy Mexican meal for weeknights this comes to the front of my mind every single time. One bite of this pasta goodness and I’m in…hook, line, and sinker.
And while I doubt that I’ll ever get tired of eating a classic piece of lasagna, I’m super excited about this mash-up taco lasagna recipe. It’s like two of my favorite courses came together to create the perfect hybrid meal. Italian Mexican should totally be a thing(and with this recipe, it is)!
Related: Eggplant Lasagna
Taco Lasagna Ingredients
- Ground Beef: I used 93% lean.
- Green Pepper
- Taco Seasoning: I used store bought, but homemade is great too if you have it on hand.
- Cheese: I used cheddar. Shred it yourself if you have time, as it will melt so much better!
- Taco Sauce: A tangy condiment that is usually thicker than enchilada sauce, this will be the base of our “Sauce”.
- Enchilada Sauce: Generally spicier than taco sauce, it is the second ingredient in our “Sauce”.
- No Boil Lasagna Noodles: Save time with no boil noodles. They cook right in the oven. Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Garnish with: Tomato, Avocado, Cilantro and Green Onions
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- Brown Beef: Brown beef, and cook vegetables until tender. Stir in taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, and taco sauce.
- Layer Lasagna: Grease 9×13 pan. Layer 3 noodles on the bottom. Top with ground beef mixture and cheese. Repeat with remaining layers.
- Bake: Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish: Garnish with your favorite taco toppings like avocado and tomatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make Mexican Lasagna Ahead of Time?
Absolutely. In fact, it’s encouraged! If you know that you’re going to be running short on time the next day, do a little meal prep the night before and get it ready to pop in the oven when you get home. It’s seriously as simple as that. Mexican lasagna with noodles is one of the best meals to make ahead of time!
Can You Freeze It?
For sure. We all know that lasagna recipes typically create a meal that’s large enough to feed a small army so there’s a good chance that you’re going to have some leftovers after the meal. All you need to do is store it in a freezer-safe container and save it for another meal sometime in the future. Then, when you’re ready to eat it again, you just have to pull it out of the freezer, thaw it, heat it up and enjoy!
What To Serve With Mexican Lasagna
I love to eat my cheesy taco lasagna with:
- Warm homemade bread
- Refried Black Beans
- Fresh Green Salad
- Corn Salad
- Chips and Salsa (or queso)
- Carne Asada Fries
- Mexican Egg Rolls
- Margarita Cupcakes
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, Diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 7 Ounces Taco Sauce
- 10 Ounces Enchilada Sauce
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 9 No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- Avocado, Green Onion, Cilantro, and tomatoes, If Desired to Garnish
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Add onions and green pepper, cook until softened.
- Stir in taco seasoning, taco sauce, and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, remove from heat.
- Lay 3 lasagna noodles in prepared pan. Add beef mixture and cheese on top. Repeat with remaining noodles, beef, and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, and green onions if desired.
- Use Chicken: Use chicken instead for yummy Mexican chicken lasagna. It’ll be lower in fat too!
- Make It Vegetarian: Use meatless crumbles in place of the ground beef.
- Spice It Up: Ad cayenne pepper to the beef mixture, grab a spicy taco sauce, and top with diced jalapeno.
- Make It Gluten Free: Use gluten free lasagna noodles. Ensure all other ingredients are labeled gluten free as well.
- Make It Skinny: Use ground turkey, or ground chicken, and low fat cheese.
It’s time to treat yourself to a dish that combines your 2 favorite cuisines! If you’re craving something spicy but are still want comforting pasta, this easy Mexican lasagna is the perfect recipe for you! It’s the perfect meal to end a busy day!
What do you think of this Mexican Lasagna Recipe?