Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe: Light and fluffy donuts topped with a rich glaze that will melt in your mouth. Enjoy Krispy Kreme for a fraction of the cost with this spot on recipe.
You’ll never guess where I first heard about Krispy Kreme Donuts. Seriously, you won’t.
I first heard about the krispy kreme original glazed doughnut at a Weight Watcher meeting of all places! The ladies there were all talking about how a new donut shop was going to be built in our town. I’d never heard of the brand before ,but, I was immediately drawn in by the catchy name. Crispy and creamy? Count me in!
These days our Krispy Kreme is now an AT&T store, so I’m forced to get my donut fix at home. This krispy kreme donut recipe is a dead ringer for the original.A light, airy donut covered in that signature rich glaze! Bet you can’t stop at one! Enjoy the comfort of donuts from the convenience of your home. You can even make this krispy kreme donut recipe in your pajamas! 😀
Krispy Kreme Donut Ingredients:
This krispy kreme donuts recipe only requires common pantry ingredients like yeast, sugar evaporated milk, shortening, eggs, vanilla, and flour.
Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
This krispy kreme doughnut recipe features a raised yeast donut with a perfect vanilla glaze. First, combine your yeast, water, and sugar. Set aside and let the yeast do its thing. Then, stir in the rest of your sugar, milk, salt, eggs, shortening, and vanilla.
Next, add flour a little at a time. To make sure you get a light airy donut, be sure to not over mix. Then, knead away.
Next, allow dough to rise until doubled in size. After that, punch down, and roll out. Cut into a circle using a biscuit cutter. After cutting donuts out, allow to rise again.
Fry in a dutch oven or a deep skillet.
Krispy Kreme Donut Glaze Recipe
While donuts are cooking, make your glaze by combining powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, water, and evaporated milk in a small bowl. Fry doughnuts until golden brown on both sides.
Cool slightly before dipping in glaze.
Who Invented Donuts?
Donuts can be traced back to Dutch settlers who called them “oil cakes”. They were balls of sugary dough, fried in pork fat. History credits Captain Hansen Gregory with the invention of the familiar ring-shaped donut. Their original shape produced an uncooked center,so he decided to poke a hole in the dough to see if he could resolve the issue . Other tales say that Gregory was trying to control the ship’s steering wheel when he accidentally impaled the donut he was eating. Despite these varied origin stories, one fact remains the same: humans have enjoyed donuts for centuries. I’m certain we’ll continue to do so!
How To Keep Donuts Fresh
Krispy Kreme glazed donuts can go stale quickly. We worked hard to make these, so let’s make sure they last. Regardless of what container you choose make sure your donuts are not exposed to the air or they will dry out. A baggie, or plate wrapped in aluminum foil is a great choice.
The fridge is best for keeping donuts fresh. Keep them tightly wrapped in foil, or in a plastic baggie. When you’re ready to eat again warm in the microwave for about 10 seconds, or in a 350 degree oven for about 3 minutes.
How Long Do Donuts Last?
When stored in the fridge these donuts will last about one week. However, they are so delicious I doubt you’ll have any left at that point!
Can You Freeze Krispy Kreme Donuts?
Yes! You can certainly freeze donuts from Krispy Kreme, as well as this homemade version. For best krispy kreme donuts, eat within 2-3 months of freezing. To thaw after freezing, microwave for 20-30 seconds, or bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
Best Oil For Frying Donuts
When frying donuts, use a neutral flavored oil. This helps make sure our doughnuts taste like doughnuts, and not something else. Growing up we always fried our donuts in Crisco vegetable shortening. Word on the street is that is what krispy kreme doughnuts are fried in too! If you don’t want to use shortening you can also use canola oil, It is a good choice because of its high smoke point and mild flavor. Other neutral oils to consider are peanut or safflower oil.
Donuts are warm, soft, crispy, and all around yummy. Yet, they are so much more. They represent the sweet and simple things in life—the small, seemingly insignificant moments that are worth pausing to savor.
Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
- For the Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar, Divided
- 1/4 Cup Evaporated Milk, Warmed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Shortening, Softened
- 1 Egg and 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 - 4 Cups Vegetable Shortening, For Frying
- For the Glaze
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 1/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of Salt, To Taste
- 2 Teaspoons Evaporated Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 -4 Teaspoons Water
- In a large bowl whisk yeast, warm water, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Then stir in remaining sugar, evaporated milk, salt, shortening, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in flour a little at a time until smooth and just combined. Do not over mix.
- Knead until dough is smooth and slightly sticky ,but no longer sticking to your fingers.
- Spray a large bowl with non stick cooking spray. Transfer dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rise until doubled in size (around 60-90 minutes).
- Punch down dough and roll out onto a floured surface until ~1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into circles using a biscuit or donut cutter. Don't forget to cut out the hole in the center.
- Cover and rise again until doubled in size. (~30-45 minutes).
- In a large dutch oven heat shortening to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Fry donuts a few at a time until golden brown on both sides, flipping once.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 minutes before dipping into glaze.
Adapted via Cooking Classy
Looking for more breakfast treats?
Donut Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Peanut Butter Cream Donuts via Crazy For Crust
Maple Bacon Donuts via Grandbaby Cakes
Old Fashioned Cake Donuts via Buns in my Oven
What do you think of this Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe? What is your favorite kind of donut?