Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings: Fluffy dumplings and tender chicken in a flavorful sauce. Old fashioned comfort food just like Grandma used to make!
Chilly days have me craving comfort food like stuffed peppers, cheeseburger casserolele, and of course chicken and dumplings. Chicken and dumplings are truly classic comfort food. Make this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumpling recipe and have the rich flavors of chicken and dumplings in a short amount of time.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients
For the Chicken:
- Butter: to saute our veggies.
- Cooked Chicken: Rotisserie chicken works really well here.
- Chicken Stock: I use low sodium so I can control the amount of salt in my recipe.
- turmeric: this gives us that classic yellow chicken soup flavor here.
- Fresh Parsley
- Milk: I nearly always cook with whole milk. Any milk dairy or non can be used here. You can also leave it out for a less creamy soup.
- Cornstarch and Water: this is what thickens our chicken and dumplings.
For the Homemade Dumplings
- Baking Powder
- Fresh Parsley: Feel free to add any herbs you like.
Can I use Biscuit Dough: I have seen recipes that use biscuit dough instead of homemade dumplings. I have used it in other types of dumpling recipes. I am sure you could use biscuit dough in this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe, however, I have not tested it with this recipe. Cooking time may vary.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Saute Veggies: Melt butter in Instant Pot. Saute carrots, celery, onions, and peas.
Make Sauce: Add chicken, chicken broth, turmeric and salt/pepper to taste. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release. Add milk.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Stir into sauce until thickened.
Make the Dumplings: In a medium bowl, combine butter, flour, salt, and baking powder. Fold in milk and parsley. Drop by teaspoon full on top of chicken mixture. Cover and cook on saute mode for 5-7 minutes.
What Are Dumplings?
Dumplings are doughy balls of goodness that are cooked inside soup or stew. There are many ways to make dumplings. No matter how the dumpling dough is made, it is cooked by the stem from the soup making them moist and fluffy. When making Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings, the dumplings are cooked in the stew. I LOVE homemade dumplings. So fluffy and delicious. You can also use pre made biscuit dough if you are short on time.
How To Thicken Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings are a thick stew that has almost a gravy consistency. In order to create a thick broth for the Instant Pot chicken and dumplings, I like to use cornstarch and water. Mix them up in a bowl, and add after pressure cooking the chicken and veggies.
Can You Freeze Chicken and Dumplings?
After making this recipe, you might have leftovers you want to freeze. Luckily, this recipe freezes well. When you are ready to reheat the chicken and dumplings, thaw completely. The best way to reheat chicken and dumplings is on the stovetop in a saucepan on low.
What Goes Good With Chicken and Dumplings?
Just about anything goes great with chicken and dumplings. Cornbread is a popular choice as a side dish for this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe. Bread to sop up extra gravy is another common side dish. Of course, salad is always a great choice of side dishes for chicken and dumplings.
More Easy Dinners
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Carrots Sliced
- 2 Stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Onion Diced
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Cups Chicken Diced
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ Cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Each Cornstarch & Water Mixed together
For the Dumplings
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Butter Melted
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Parsley
For the Chicken
- Set Instant Pot to the saute setting. Melt butter. Saute carrots, celery, onions, and peas until softened.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, turmeric, and salt/pepper.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10 minute. Do a quick release. In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch.
- Stir in milk and cornstarch slurry.
Recipe Adapted via Kitchen Dreaming