These Ice Cream Cupcakes tastes a delicious as they look! They start with a simple box mix, but feel free to substitute your favorite homemade cupcake instead. Frosted in rich smooth buttercream, they are decorated to look just like your favorite ice cream cone.
They are perfect for birthday parties, and summer picnics alike.
How To Make Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Bake cupcakes according to box instructions.
- For the Vanilla Buttercream: In a large bowl, cream butter. Stir in vanilla, and salt. Add powdered sugar and heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency. Dye about ½ of the frosting pink.
- For the Chocolate Buttercream: Cream butter. Stir in vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder. Add powdered sugar and heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- For the Cones: Cut vanilla wafers in half. Cut in half again leaving a point at one end.
- Assembly: Frost cupcakes with a small amount of vanilla buttercream. Pipe a swirl of chocolate or pink buttercream for the ice cream. Pipe 4-5 rosettes below the scoop of ice cream.
- Topping: Add sprinkles and a gummy cherry if desired.
- Use Any Cupcake Flavor: Use any flavor of cupcake you like. Chocolate, Oreo, or even lemon cupcakes would be yummy!
- Mix Up The Frosting: Feel free to experiment with the frosting as well. Personally I’d love to try these again with caramel or strawberry buttercream to reflect traditional ice cream toppings.
- Use Maraschino Cherries: Just like a sundae, a maraschino cherry will give these cupcakes a great pop of color.
- Decorations: Instead of sprinkles decorate your cupcakes with mini M&Ms, chocolate chips, or even Nerds candies.
Ice Cream Cupcake Tips
- Don’t over bake your cupcakes. Test for doneness by inserting a tooth pick into the center of the cupcake. When it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, cupcakes are done. If you see batter on the tooth pick, keep baking in 2-3 minute increments until done.
- Buttercream is very forgiving. If yours is too thin add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a little more heavy cream .
- Be sure to cool cupcakes completely before frosting so your icing doesn’t melt.
- I used a Star Tip and a disposable piping back to pipe the ice cream scoop.
More Fun Cupcakes
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 Box Cake Mix Plus Ingredients Called For On The Box
For The Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 4-5 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 3 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pinch Salt
For The Chocolate Buttercream
- Bake cupcakes according to box directions.
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Add in powdered sugar a little at a time, mixing until well combined. Add heavy cream as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Divide frosting. Dye ~ ½ of the frosting pink with 3-4 drops of pink gel food coloring.
For the Chocolate Buttercream
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla,cocoa powder, and the salt.
- Stir in powdered sugar a little at time. Add heavy cream as needed.
Putting It All Together
- Cut 12 vanilla wafers in half. Cut each half into a cone shape with a tapered point at the end.
- Frost each cupcake with a small amount of vanilla frosting.
- Place a vanilla wafer cone in the middle of each cupcake.
- Pipe a swirl of frosting for the ice cream scoop. Pipe 4-5 rosettes at the bottom of the swirl. Alternate between pink and chocolate frosting.
- Top each cupcake with some sprinkles, and one gummy cherry.
What Do You Think Of These Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes?