Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. In my house we always buy one of those big cans with three different flavors in it at Christmas time.I tend to gobble up the butter/cheese flavors first, while my family prefers the caramel variety.
However, the biggest fight in our house comes not over what flavor to eat, but in when to take out that cardboard divider. I can’t stand chaos and removing it spells chaos to me! GET YOUR HANDS OFF IT -twitches-
It’s been over 6 months since that lovely Christmas popcorn tin. We’ve had plenty of cheese and butter popcorn since then, but not caramel.
I wanted to whip up an extra special version. This reminds me a lot of Cracker Jacks since it is made with a thick home made caramel sauce and peanuts.
More Game Day Grub
- 10-12 cups of air popped Popcorn Okay so substitute a 3.5 ounce bag of Microwave popcorn
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- ¼ cup Light Corn Syrup
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Salted Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pop your popcorn by following the instructions on the kernels.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Pour popped corn in.
- Mix together brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt , and water in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer stirring frequently until the temperature reaches 250 on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour caramel mixture over the popcorn. Fold in until popcorn is evenly coated. Stir in peanuts.
- Pour popcorn onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Cool completely. Break up and store in an airtight container.