Dr Pepper Cake
Dr Pepper Cake: Moist Dr. Pepper chocolate cake topped with sweet cherry buttercream. If you like Dr. Pepper, you need to try this cake!
Have you heard of Dr. Pepper Cake? This is a fantastic cake that has a unique flavor. Plus it is SO delicious and moist. Dr. Pepper Cake is going to become your new favorite cake recipe.
Craving More Cake?
Dr Pepper Cake Ingredients
- Chocolate Cake Mix: We’ll only be using the dry cake mix in this recipe. Do not use the ingredients called for on the back of the box.
- Cherry Dr Pepper
- Maraschino Cherries: I use the cherries in the cake, and the juice in the frosting. I also like to top the cake off with a few more to garnish.
- Butter and Powdered Sugar for the frosting
- Chocolate Curls: Store bought or homemade.
Dr Pepper Cake Recipe
Prep work: Preheat the oven and spray your pan with non stick spray. We don’t want our cake to stick.
Cake Mix: Mix cake mix, soda, and cherries together. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Frosting: Combine butter and powdered sugar. Add cherry juice as needed. Frost cake. Garnish with cherries and chocolate shavings if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Tell When Cake Is Done? My Dr Pepper Cake recipe, will bake it for about 25 minutes. When the cake is done baking, test to see if it is done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done. Be careful to not over bake the cake.
Can You Freeze Dr Pepper Cake? Cake stands up well in the freezer. If you want to freeze your Dr Pepper Cake, be sure to wrap it tightly before freezing. When the cake is wrapped well to prevent freezer burn, it will stay fresh in the freezer for up to six months.
How Do I Store My Cake?
When storing cake, you want to make sure the cake protected from air. This will keep the cake from getting stale. Storing the cake with a cake cover protects the cake, and keeps it fresh. A tupperware container, or tightly wrapped plate will also work. The cake will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Mix Up the Soda: The great things about this Dr. Pepper cake recipe is that it is easy to make. While Dr. Pepper adds a unique flavor of its own, you can use other soda flavors. I’ve previously made Coke Cupcakes and a Coca Cola Cake. I have seen this recipe made with 7up or Sprite too. Sprite would taste amazing with lemon icing You can also use diet soda when making this Dr. Pepper Cake recipe.
Can You Use Other Kinds of Frosting Besides Cherry?While the flavors of the cake go great with the cherry frosting that is made with this recipe, any frosting can be used. You can choose to make a chocolate frosting or any flavor that you like.
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix, Dry Mix ONLY
- 1½ Cans Cherry Dr. Pepper
- 1 Jar Maraschino Cherries, Divided and Halved
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 3-4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Cherries and Chocolate Curls, If Desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, soda, and half of the cherries.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- For the Cherry Frosting
- Cream butter and powdered sugar sugar until smooth. Add cherry juice and powdered sugar as needed until you reach your desired consistency.
- Evenly spread onto cake.
- Garnish with cherries and chocolate curls if desired.
- Place in the fridge for an hour or 2 before cutting.
What do you think of this Dr Pepper Cake?