Deep Fried Mac and Cheese: Creamy macaroni and melty cheese coated in a crispy, crunchy batter. Satisfy your craving with this tasty appetizer!
Mac and cheese is my all time favorite comfort food. Bad day, tired, winter blues? It will fix me right up.
This Deep Fried Mac and Cheese is something else though! Hands up if you like the crispy edges! These are like those on steroids!
The creamy mac and cheese you love on the outside is encased in a crispy flavorful shell. The combination of flavors/textures is ah-mazing.
I like to dip mine in a generous amount of marinara. Ranch is awesome with these too!
Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Tips:
- Don’t be afraid to work in batches with these. You don’t want to crowd the pan, and end up with soggy fritters! (But let’s be honest you know I’d gobble them down anyway).
2. When dredging your mac and cheese , use one hand for the flour, and one for the eggs/bread crumbs. This will stop you from turning into a sticky monster.RAWR
3. I like frying with peanut oil because it’s flavorless, and doesn’t take on the flavor of what you fry in it. This means you can save in it a sealed container, and reuse it. Beer Battered Cod today Fried Pork Sandwich tomorrow! Fried food all day everyday!
Mac and Cheese Trivia Tid Bits
- The first known recipe for macaroni and cheese was first found in a cookbook in the 1300s, clearly a timeless favorite.
- S’Mac in New York City is a restaurant dedicated to just you guessed it mac and cheese. Bucket list worthy!
- Kraft sells more than 1 million boxes of their blue box favorite each day!!
Deep Fried Mac and Cheese
- 4 Eggs Beaten and Divided
- 4 Cups Cooked Elbow Macaroni
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- Flour & Seasoned Breadcrumbs For Dredging
- Peanut Oil For Frying
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked macaroni ,cheddar cheese,2 eggs, sour cream,butter salt, and milk.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven heat peanut oil to 350 degrees F.
- Form mac and cheese into balls then dredge in flour, 2 eggs, and bread crumbs.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Deep Fried Mac and Cheese adapted via Paula Deen
Appetizer Recipes From Blogs I Love:
Jalapeno Hush Puppies via Went There 8 That
Stuffed Mushrooms via Small Town Woman
DIY Tater Tots via Cooking Carnival
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks via Gringalicious