Whoopie Pies: Creamy marshmallow filling between 2 soft melt in your mouth cakes. Quick to make and even quicker to disappear!
Whether you call them whoopie pies or gobs like we do in Pittsburgh you can’t deny they’re delicious! These bite sized chocolate cakes with rich marshmallow buttercream are so addicting!
I’m not above buying these bad boys at my local bakery, but the homemade version is SO much better. Moist cake and creamy filling make it hard to stop at just one.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Best of all they don’t require a mixer or a whoopie pie pan!
For the Whoopie Pies
For the Filling
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Cups Marshmallow Creme
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Add flour a little a time until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon ~¼ cup of batter at a time onto your prepared pan. I used an ice cream scoop. Place ~3 inches apart ,they will get bigger as they bake.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire wrack to cool completely.
For the Filling
- In a large bowl, cream butter, marshmallow creme, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sugar a little at a time until just combined.
- Spread the flat side of half of the whoopie pies with marshmallow filling.
- Top with a second whoopie pie.
Recipe adapted via Yankee Magazine
Craving more Whoopie Pies?
Whoopie Pie Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Cookie Dough Whoopie Pies via Homemade Hooplah
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies via Bakers Party Shop
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies via A Latte Food