Cinnamon Cake: Moist cinnamon vanilla cake topped with fluffy cinnamon buttercream. Tastes just like cinnamon toast crunch!
If you like cinnamon ,you are going to love this Cinnamon Cake. This moist cinnamon cake cake is made with buttermilk and topped with a delicious cinnamon frosting. Let this buttery cinnamon cake take you back to childhood, eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal while watching Saturday morning cartoons. I still love cinnamon toast crunch, but for breakfast these days I often make Cinnamon Roll Pancakes, or a Cinnamon French Toast Casserole.
How to Make Cinnamon Cake
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven, and spray cake pans with non stick spray.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add in vanilla & eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients. Alternate adding buttermilk, and dry ingredients.
- Bake for ~30 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- Combine all ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Alternate layers of cake, frosting, and crushed cereal.
- Cover top of cake with frosting and spread down the sides.
- Top with cinnamon toast crunch cereal and press cereal into sides of cake if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Should I Use Buttermilk? Buttermilk is often used in cakes and other baked goods. The buttermilk helps the cake to rise ,and it also adds a slight tangy flavor to the cake. Also, the acidity that comes from the buttermilk helps to tenderize the wheat gluten creating a soft and tender crumb.
- What If I Don’t Have Buttermilk? No problem, it is easy to make your own with white vinegar. For each 1 cup of buttermilk, you will use one tablespoon of white vinegar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before adding the the cake.
- How Should I Store It?: Store in an airtight container. This cake can be stored at room temperature. Whenever possible, you want to store cake at room temperature to keep it from drying out. However, be sure to store in the fridge if it has cream cheese frosting, fresh fruit, or chocolate ganache.
How Long Will It Last
- In The Freezer: Cake will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Freezing cake is a great way to make sure you always have cake on hand.
- At Room Temperature: Cake will last up to 5 days at room temperature. Be sure to keep it in an air tight container like a cake plate, or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
How To Tell When Cake Is Done
When you have baked the cake to the time suggested in the recipe, you will want to touch the cake. The cake will spring back when touched lightly. You can also insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done baking. A few crumbs is okay, but if you see cake batter on the tooth pick bake in 2-3 minute increments.
More Delectable Cakes:
Death By Chocolate Cake: SO good!
Cinnamon Cake Ingredients
- 4 Cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Crushed
- ¼ Cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal For Garnish, If Desired
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray (3) cake pans with non stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and eggs one at a time.
- Gradually alternate adding buttermilk and dry ingredient mixture to the butter.
- Evenly divide batter between 3 cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
For the Cinnamon Buttercream
- Cream butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar a little at a time. Add heavy cream as needed.
Putting It All Together
- Layer cake layers, ~1 cup of buttercream, and ~1 cup of crushed cereal. Repeat 2x.
- Frost top layer, spreading frosting down the sites. Add crushed cereal on top, and down the sides of the cake as well.
- If desired: Pipe remaining frosting around the edges of the cake, and top with additional cereal.
What do you think of this Cinnamon Cake?