Chocolate Poke Cake: Rich chocolate cake topped with a decadent chocolate whipped cream. If you like chocolate you’ll love this cake!
Looking for a chocolate poke cake recipe? You are going to love how easy this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake recipe is to make. So decadent with chocolate in every single layer and bite! You might want to make two because everyone is going to love it.
More Decadent Chocolate Recipes:
What Is Chocolate Poke Cake?
Chocolate poke cake is a chocolate cake that you poke holes in after baking it. A traditional poke cake is filled with Jello. Our chocolate poke cake is filled with sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips. So rich and tasty.The holes make sure every bite of-cake has that extra bit of decadence.
Chocolate Poke Cake Ingredients
For the Cake:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix: You’ll also need the ingredients called for on the box which is typically vegetable oil, eggs, and water. You can also make a homemade cake if you’re feeling adventurous.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Chocolate Chips: I used semi sweet, but dark or milk would work too.
For the topping:
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Chocolate Chips and chocolate syrup for topping
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
First, we’ll bake our cake. Follow the directions on the box mix for a 9×13 inch pan.
Once cake is done, poke holes all over it with a wooden spoon.
Next, microwave sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips until smooth. Pour over cake.
Now it is time for the topping. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in sugar, and cocoa. Finally, top with chocolate chips and chocolate sauce.
How Do You Poke the Holes In the Cake ?
When making death by chocolate poke cake, you want to make sure you make the holes when it comes out of the oven. For this chocolate poke cake, you can make the holes with anything you have. I like to use the end of a wooden spoon. It doesn’t matter what you use to create the holes, you just want to make sure the holes go all the way through the chocolate poke cake.
Does It Need To Be Stored In The Fridge?
Not all cakes need to be stored in the fridge. However, it is always best to store this easy chocolate poke cake in the fridge. Storing in the fridge will make it last longer. Also, it contains dairy so it should also be kept cold for food safety reasons.
How Far In Advance Can You Make A Poke Cake?
If you like to make desserts ahead of time, a chocolate poke cake is a great choice. You can make the poke cake up to three days before you need it. When you store the poke cake in the refrigerator, it will stay fresh and delicious for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Poke Cake?
Yes you sure can! I would suggest freezing before adding the topping and syrup. Freeze in an air tight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before enjoying.
- Switch up the chocolate: Use milk or dark chocolate to suit your tastes.
- Add fruit: Instead of chocolate chips, top with fresh fruit. Strawberries or raspberries are my favorite.
- Add more toppings: Drizzle with chopped candy bars and caramel sauce for an even more decadent cake.
Chocolate Poke Cake
For the Cake
- 1 Box Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix Plus the ingredients call for on the box
- 1 14 Ounce Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
For the Cake
- First, bake cake according to the package directions for a 9x13 pan.
- Remove from oven and poke holes in the cake.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour over cake. Cool for an hour on a wire rack. Cool completely in the fridge.
For the topping
- Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in powdered sugar, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Evenly spread over prepared cake. If desired, drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with mini chocolate chips.
Recipe adapted via Life Love Sugar
What do you think of this chocolate poke cake?