Chile Con Queso Dip: Melty gooey cheese dip that is perfect for Taco Tuesday! 100% from scratch, no Velveeta or other processed cheese.
I could honestly live on queso alone!
Chile Con Queso goes great as an appetizer with crunchy tortilla chips.
I can also be found dipping my quesadilla or burrito in it. I’ve even been known to eat it by the spoonful, (usually followed by regret and chased with lots of water).
This chile con queso is a little different than your average recipe. It doesn’t contain any processed cheese like Velveeta. I love Velveeta as much as the next gal, but the texture/flavor of this from scratch version version is so much better!
Chile Con Queso – Cheese Makes Everything Better
Chile Con Queso Dip
- ½ Sweet Onion Finely Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Serrano Peppers Finely Diced
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers Finely Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 6 Cups Shredded Cheese I used 3 Cups Longhorn Cheddar and 3 Cups of Monterrey Jack
- ½ Cup Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Plum Tomatoes Peeled and Diced
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- Salt To Taste
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion, and peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in flour and cook for around 30 seconds.
- Pour in milk and cook for 5 minutes whisking constantly until thickened.
- Stir in tomatoes and cilantro.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add cheese ¼ a cup at a time. Let cheese melt before stirring in more. Repeat until all cheese is used up.
- Stir in sour cream and salt to taste.
Chile Con Queso adapted via Homesick Texan
Chile Con Queso Shopping Tips:
- Feel free to use shredded cheese. However, I used Longhorn and Monterrey Jack from my deli in block form. Shred it just before adding to the recipe.
Looking for more easy appetizers?
Dip Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Artichoke Dip via Shugary Sweets
Reuben Dip via Spicy Southern Kitchen
Holiday Crap Dip via Seasoned Mom
What do you think of this chile con queso? What is your favorite dip?