Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas: spicy buffalo chicken inside a crispy corn tortilla. This best ever game day appetizer is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are my own.
When the weather begins to cool down outside, the football rivalry begins to heat up in my household! I cheer for the Dallas Cowboys (aka the best team on the planet)! They don’t call them America’s team for nothing! Unfortunately for me I’m smack dab in the middle of Steelers country.
More Chicken Recipes
We all know the Cowboys are the best, but you disagree with that I’ve saved you a spot on the porch. 😉 With a heated rivalry, and 2 Super Bowls between our teams, football is serious business in our household! Do you have any NFL, College, or other sport rivalries in your household?
Here Are Some Tips To Keep Things Under Control:
1. Decorate: Decorations are a fun way to keep your mind busy both before and after the big game. It is also great for keeping little hands occupied. I’m the type of person who can’t just sit and watch sports. I get too nervous! Homemade signs, paper chains in team colors, and banners are always fun! Bonus: You can reuse them for the next game. (And of course they’ll come in handy for the big party when your team goes to the Championship!)
2. Make Snacks: Getting snappy? Maybe you’re just hungry! Fuel up with a wide variety of game day grub. Dips, veggies, and desserts in team colors are always welcome. But the real MVP of the day is a stunning main dish like my Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas! The filling is easy to prep ahead of time which makes them perfect for all your guests, regardless of who they root for. Who doesn’t love buffalo chicken?
3. Watch in separate rooms: If all else fails divide and conquer. I spent much of my childhood watching with my Grandma who wasn’t annoyed by my constant chatter and swooning over my cute quarterback. Rally around those who support your team, and swap stories of the glory days.
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas Ingredients
Chicken Breasts: This recipe starts out with our favorite blank canvass: boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Tortillas: For the recipe I used Mission® Super Soft Corn Tortillas. When you’re making a quesadilla, the tortilla is a big deal. It can make or break your dish! The high quality corn flour gives them the perfect flavor and texture. I also love that they are made without lard! You can find these Mission tortillas nationwide! They are easy to find too: look for them in the bread or tortilla aisle where you usually shop for groceries.
The Super Soft Corn Tortillas are the perfect size for my Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas Recipe. Touchdown: They’re with low-fat, gluten, free, and have no cholesterol too!
Hot Sauce: Use your favorite brand here, and adjust the amount to your tastes.
Diced Jalapenos: There is no such thing as too much spice on game day! Dice finely and remove the seeds if you want milder flavor.
Bacon: Crispy, crunchy bacon takes these quesadillas to the next level!
Shredded Cheese: Use freshly shredded cheese if possible as it melts better.
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
First, we season the chicken with Cajun seasoning. Then chop it up and cook in it a skillet.
Next we’ll assemble our quesadillas using Mission Super Soft Corn Tortillas as the base. They have a layer of our cooked chicken, shredded cheese, bacon, and jalapenos. Cook in the same skillet until crispy. (Corn tortillas are best served warm!)
Finally, I like to garnish mine with sour cream, more buffalo sauce, and cilantro before serving.
Make Ahead Tips
Can I Make These Ahead? No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen when the game is on and guests are over. I like to make the filling ahead of time and stick it in the fridge. Then when you are ready to eat, you just have to stuff the tortillas, and cook!
Bonus: Fresh out of the fridge filling products create less steam while heating, giving you a crunchier tortilla!
Can I Freeze Them? I like the way you think! Growing up, football games were often accompanied by a variety of frozen appetizers. After following the recipe, cool the quesadillas completely on a wire rack. Then pop them into a freezer safe baggie or plastic container. When ready to enjoy, just pull out and heat in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. You can also microwave them for 1-2 minutes, but I prefer the oven as they get crispier!
How Do You Reheat Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas? If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, you’ll want to reheat these in the oven. I like using a baking stone for maximum crispiness. 3-5 minutes at 425 F degrees should do the trick!
You can also freeze them uncooked if you’d prefer. Regardless of which method you choose, they’re going to taste a million times better than anything from the freezer aisle!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Bake Them In The Oven? A griddle is also a great idea when cooking quesadillas for a crowd. One of my preferred tips is to lightly mist 2 cookie sheets (without a rim) with non-stick cooking spray. Then bake at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Perfectly crispy quesadillas with no flipping or standing over a stove required!
What’s the difference between a quesadilla and a fajita? Quesadillas are tortillas stuffed with cheese and cooked until melty. On the other hand, fajitas are usually uncooked tortillas filled with a variety of meats and vegetables. Both are delicious with Mission Super Soft Corn Tortillas! The tortillas are great for burritos too. The softness of the tortilla makes them perfect for a wide variety of recipes.
Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
- 8 Mission® Super Soft Corn Tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Diced or Shredded (About 2 Large Breasts)
- 2 Teaspoons. Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Jalapenos, Finely Diced
- 4 Slices Bacon, Cooked Crisp and Chopped
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Sour Cream,Buffalo Sauce, and Cilantro For Garnish, If Desired
- Season chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook until browned on all sides, and no longer pink in the middle. Chicken should reach 165 F degrees internally.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. While skillet is reheating, evenly divide chicken, and cheese (about ¼ cup each) between 4 tortillas. Top with about a tablespoon each of jalapenos and bacon.
- Top with another corn tortilla and gently press down.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until crispy.
- Garnish with sour cream, buffalo sauce, and cilantro if desired.
What do you think of this Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas recipe? What is your favorite way to use Mission tortillas on Game Day? For a store locator or more recipes, head over to Mission Super Soft!