When it comes to Christmas baking/candy making I am nothing if not ambitious.
The very first year I was allowed to help with Christmas baking, my Mom sat me down with her 234243543 cookbooks and some post its.
I marked 60-70 cookies that I thought we should bake!! Because that is totally doable right?!
I am still very much an idealist when it comes to Christmas goodies. I go through my favorite cookbooks and my internet bookmarks. Then I usually make a list of around 20 cookies. I mean surely I can back one each day in December. Right!?
Life tends to get in the way. I had planned to make buck eyes a couple days before Christmas. However, on that day our new (very first!!) dishwasher arrived. Somewhere between sugar cookies and home made Chex Mix buckeyes got forgotten! 🙁
I decided to make these Buckeye brownies to capture the creamy peanut butter and rich chocolate I’ve been craving. These Buckeye Brownies taste just like the buckeyes you love, but with a chewy brownie layer on the bottom!
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
<b>Peanut Butter Filling:</b>
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon Crisco
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil. Spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Whisk cocoa, and boiling water together. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. Add eggs, yolks,sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool.
<b>Peanut Butter filling:</b>
- Mix peanut butter, butter and salt until combined. Add powdered sugar,milk, and vanilla. Spread the peanut butter mixture over the brownies.
- Melt together the chocolate chips and crisco in the microwave on 50% power for around 2 minutes (Stirring every 30 seconds).Pour the mixture over the peanut butter layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until set.
Buckeye Brownies Adapted via the Brown Eyed Baker