Boston Cream Poke Cake: Super moist cake, topped with a fudgy chocolate frosting. All the flavor of a Boston Cream Pie with none of the work.
A traditional Boston Cream Pie consists of a layered cake with pastry cream, and chocolate frosting.
This Boston Cream Poke Cake recipe tastes even better, and hardly requires any work at all! No praying to the Cake Gods that your layer cakes come out, or stirring pastry cream required.
It starts with a box mix and some pudding, but turns out incredible.It is big on tastes, but small on time! Finally, the Boston Cream Poke cake is slathered with a super fudgy chocolate frosting!
This cake is perfect for potlucks, or even birthdays.
Boston Cream Poke Cake
For the Cake
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix Plus Ingredients Called For on the Box
- 1 3.5 oz. Box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 14 oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
For the Cake
- Bake cake in a 13x9 inch pan according to the box directions.
- While cake is baking, whisk pudding and whole milk. Let stand for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Then, whisk in sweetened condensed milk.
- When cake is done baking, poke holes in it using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour pudding mixture evenly over the cake. Cool cake completely.
For the Frosting
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in cocoa powder.
- Pour in boiling water, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Evenly spread frosting over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Boston Cream Poke Cake adapted via Diary of a Recipe Collector
Boston Cream Poke Cake Tips:
- It is okay if your pudding mixture is thinner than typical pudding. It will thicken up after refrigerating.
Craving more cake?
Cake Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Purple Ombre Cake via Homemade Hooplah
Banana Split Layer Cake via Life Love Sugar
Better Than Anything Chocolate Cake via Averie Cooks
What do you think of this Boston Cream Poke Cake?