Biscuits and Gravy Casserole: Fluffy buttermilk biscuits with rich sausage gravy. Your favorite breakfast in casserole form, perfect for holidays!
Who says you have to start off your mornings with a plain old bowl of cereal? Put a little pep in your step with this hearty biscuits and gravy casserole.
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? And this Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole is one of my favorites. Not only is it super simple to make but it also tastes out of this world awesome as well.
There’s nothing quite like waking up and having the smell of a homemade breakfast casserole with biscuits and gravy filling up the rooms in your house. This biscuits and gravy casserole recipe is certain to wake up everyone in your house. They’ll wonder what smells so dang good! You won’t have to worry about anyone sleeping in when this recipe is in the oven!
This sausage gravy and biscuit casserole is also perfect for holiday brunches for holidays like Christmas or Easter. Best brunch ever! Looking for hassle-free breakfast ideas? Also, try our Cinnamon French Toast Casserole or our Mexican egg casserole.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Ingredients
- Canned Buttermilk Biscuits: You can also use my homemade buttermilk biscuits.
- Ground Sausage: I look using spicy sausage here, but feel to adjust to your family’s tastes.
- Milk: Use whole milk for the best results.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole Recipe
- Prep Work: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Bottom Layer: Layer biscuits halves in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Make Gravy: In a large skillet brown sausage. Stir in flour, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Putting It All together: Pour gravy over bottom biscuit crust. Place remaining biscuits on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Homemade Biscuits Instead of Canned?
Absolutely. If you have a favorite homemade biscuits recipe, go for it! Just know that the recipe will take a bit longer overall to make. Using canned biscuits adds convenience for those busy morning. Easy peasy!
Can You Freeze Biscuits and Gravy Casserole?
You can. My simple tip? Freeze it up in smaller portioned containers so that you don’t have to haw the entire thing at once. That way, when you’re craving this biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole you can thaw just one piece for you to enjoy!
Can You Make It Ahead?
This sausage, gravy and biscuit casserole is so simple to prep the night ahead! Simply put together all of the ingredients and follow the recipe up until the baking step. Then, Cover it and place it in the fridge. When you wake up in the morning all you’ll have to worry about is popping it into the oven.
How Do I Reheat It?
The quickest way to reheat the casserole is to put it on a microwave-safe plate and reheat in 30-second intervals in the microwave. You can also turn your oven on low and slowly reheat it there as well. My mornings are usually low on time so the microwave method works best for me!
If you’re looking for a super simple and delicious breakfast recipe you’ll love this hearty biscuit and gravy casserole. It is certain to please even your pickiest eaters! Who knew that making biscuits and gravy could be so simple?
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 16 Ounce Can Buttermilk Biscuits Halved
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 ½ Cups Whole Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Lay half of halved biscuits on the bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until brown.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage. Stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Pour over bottom layer of biscuits, and top with remaining biscuit halves.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
What do you think of this biscuits and gravy casserole? What is your favorite cooked breakfast?