Banana Cake(Last Updated On: August 4, 2020)
Banana Cake: Moist and fluffy banana cake topped with rich cinnamon frosting. If you like bananas you’ll love this decadent cake!
Who says that you can’t turn your unused fruit into a delicious dessert? This Banana Cake is about to become your new favorite cake recipe!
This seriously might be the best banana cake recipe there is. I’m not joking. I’ve taste-tested quite a few in my day and I can assure you that this one stands out. It’s got great banana flavor and every single bite is super tender and moist. It’s like the love child of wedding cake and banana bread.
Once you make this moist banana cake recipe from scratch, you’ll know exactly what I mean. Get ready to treat yourself to an easy and delicious cake. It is also perfect to make for a banana lover’s birthday!
Related: Banana Bread Cheesecake
Banana Cake Ingredients
For the Homemade Banana Cake
- Sour Cream: Sour cream leads to a wonderfully moist and tender cake.
- Eggs and Egg White
- Dry Ingredients: Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and salt
- Bananas: Read below on how to ripen them quickly!
For the Cinnamon Frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Creamy: Add only as much as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Caramel Syrup
- Vanilla Wafers
Best Banana Cake Recipe
For the Cake (From Scratch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with baking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine butter, and sugar. Add in vanilla, sour cream, oil, and eggs. Add in bananas.
- Gradually add flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
For the Frosting
Combine butter, vanilla, and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar a little at a time. Add whipping cream as needed.
Putting It All together
- Cut the domes off the cake
- Scoop ~1 cup of frosting onto first layer and spread until smooth. Repeat with remaining 2 layers.
- Frost sides and top of cake.
- Pipe remaining frosting onto top of cake.
- Drip caramel down the side of the cake and garnish with vanilla wafers.
Can You Freeze Banana Cake?
Absolutely. Truth be told, there are very few foods that you can’t freeze. 🙂 If you happen to have any leftovers that you can’t eat within a couple of days of baking this easy banana cake recipe freezes well. Store the leftover pieces in an air tight freezer safe container. It freezes well for up to 3 months.
How To Store Banana Cake
Proper storage of this banana cake recipe is key. First, let it cool completely before putting it into an air tight storage container. I like a cake plate with a lid. A tupperware container, or even a plate tightly wrapped with tinfoil. Just make certain that it seals tightly. (You don’t want any air seeping in and drying out your cake!)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make It Ahead?
Yes, you make this banana cake recipe ahead of time. It is best made one day in advance. This is great for saving time on holidays or birthdays.
How To Quickly Ripen Bananas
This recipe works best if the bananas are really, really ripe.What happens if you’re craving this cake (or another banana baked good) and your bananas just aren’t ready yet? Don’t fret, friends. You can quickly ripen your bananas with ease.
Simply add your bananas to a brown paper bag with a different piece of fruit and they’ll be ready in about a day. If you need them quicker than that Just these two simple methods will cause your bananas to start to ripen quickly, and they should be ready in about a day!
If you need them ASAP, you can also bake bananas in the oven at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes or until blackened.
More Decadent Cakes:
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg White
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas About 3 Large Ripe Bananas
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray (3) 9" cake pans with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, sour cream and canola oil until combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until combined.Add the mashed bananas.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients a little at a time until combined.
- Divide the batter between the 3 cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
For the Cinnamon Frosting
- In a large bowl beat butter, cinnamon, and vanilla until light and fluff. Add in powdered sugar a little at a time. Stir in whipping cream as needed to reach you desired consistency.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into a piping bag and set aside.
Building the Cake
- Using a cake leveler, cut the domes off the cake.
- Place 1 cake layer onto plate and scoop about 1 cup of frosting on top. Smooth evenly. Repeat with remaining 2 layers.
- Frost top and sides of cake as well.
- Pour the caramel sauce into the squeeze bottle. Pour caramel sauce in drips over the sides of the cake.
- Pipe remaining dollops of frosting on the top of the cake using a star tip. Garnish with vanilla wafers.
If you’re looking for a moist cake recipe that will have you craving more, you’re going to love this Banana Cake recipe. And honestly, you might find that you’re overbuying your bananas at the store in hope that you can use the ripened ones to make this cake! 😉
What do you think of this Banana Cake? What is your birthday cake of choice?