Lasagna Soup Recipe
This January is one of the coldest I can remember. Sure we’ve had windchills below zero, before,but the actual temperature here hit -5 this week!
This type of weather makes me crave warm, comforting food. Personally I can’t think of anything more warming than soup or comforting than lasagna.
Why not put them together into one delicious meal? Bam Lasagna Soup was born!
The perfect bite of Lasagna Soup ^
Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, diced
- 3 - 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 tsp Italian Seasoning Medley
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces
- 1¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive in in a large dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, crumble ground beef into pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and no pink remains.
- Drain most of the fat from the beef. Leave a small portion of the fat and leftover meat bits in the pan. Add and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute onion until soft(around 5 minutes). Add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Add cooked beef. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat for around 20 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Add cooked pasta and 1 cup pasta water after the 20 minutes have passed.
- Mix ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses in a small bowl. Dollop on top of soup. Serve with a crusty bread like Ciabatta if desired.
Lasagna Soup Recipe Adapted via: Cooking Classy
Use ground turkey instead of ground beef to trim the calories.
Substitute Italian sausage for the ground meat.
Use vegetarian protein crumbles and vegetable stock to make the dish vegetarian.
What do you think of this Lasagna Soup Recipe? What’s your favorite soup recipe?