Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe: Light and fluffy donuts topped with a rich glaze that will melt in your mouth. Enjoy Krispy Kreme for a fraction of the cost with this spot on recipe.
You’ll never guess where I first heard about Krispy Kreme Donuts. Seriously, you won’t.
I first heard about Krispy Kreme Donuts at a Weight Watcher meeting of all places! The ladies there were all talking about how a new donut shop was going to be built on our town. I’d never heard of the brand before then, but was immediately drawn in by the name. Crispy and creamy? Count me in!
Krispy Kreme Kopycat Donut Recipe
These days our Krispy Kreme is now an AT&T store, so I’m forced to get my donut fix at home. This Krispy Kreme Donut recipe is a dead ringer for the original. Light, airy donut covered in that signature rich glaze! Bet you can’t stop at one!
- For the Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe
- 2¼ Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- ½ Cup Warm Water
- ¼ Cup White Sugar, Divided
- ¼ Cup Evaporated Milk, Warmed
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Shortening, Softened
- 1 Egg and 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 - 4 Cups Vegetable Shortening, For Frying
- For the Glaze
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1⅓ Cup Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of Salt, To Taste
- 2 Teaspoons Evaporated Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 -4 Teaspoons Water
- In a large bowl whisk yeast, warm water, and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Then stir in remaining sugar, evaporated milk, salt, shortening, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in flour a little at a time until smooth and just combined. Do not over mix.
- Knead until dough is smooth and slightly sticky ,but no longer sticking to your fingers.
- Spray a large bowl with non stick cooking spray. Transfer dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rise until doubled in size (around 60-90 minutes).
- Punch down dough and roll out onto a floured surface until ~1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into circles using a biscuit or donut cutter. Don't forget to cut out the hole in the center.
- Cover and rise again until doubled in size. (~30-45 minutes).
- In a large dutch oven heat shortening to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Fry donuts a few at a time until golden brown on both sides, flipping once.
- Cool on a wire wrack for 1-2 minutes before dipping into glaze.
Adapted via Cooking Classy
Looking for more breakfast treats?
Donut Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Peanut Butter Cream Donuts via Crazy For Crust
Maple Bacon Donuts via Grandbaby Cakes
Old Fashioned Cake Donuts via Buns in my Oven
What do you think of this Krispy Kreme Donut Recipe? What is your favorite kind of donut?