Manhattan Clam Chowder: Tender clams and hearty vegetables in a flavorful tomato broth. Comforting and healthier than its New England counterpart.
This Manhattan Clam Chowder is full of rich flavors.
The rich, tomato broth has the perfect balance of tangy tomato and smoky bacon.
The soup itself is chock full of hearty vegetables, and delicate clams.
It reminds me of vegetable soup but with a gourmet twist.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
Adapted via Brown Eyed Baker
- 4 Slices Thick Cut Bacon, Chopped into ~1/4 Inch Pieces
- 1 Sweet Onion, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Carrot, Diced
- 1 Stalk Celery, Diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano, Dried
- ½ Cup Dry White Wine
- 3 (8-ounce) Bottles Clam Juice
- 5 (6½-ounce) Cans Chopped Clams, Drained Juice Reserved
- 1½ Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes,Peeled and Diced in ~1/4 Inch Pieces
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 (28 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Roughly Chopped
- In a large Dutch Oven, fry bacon until crispy (~7 minutes).
- Add onion, pepper, carrot, and celery to bacon grease. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until softened. Add in garlic and oregano and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour in wine. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil. Continue until it reduces by about half (~2-3 minutes). Pour in clam juice, reserved clam juices, potatoes, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for ~8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, cook for ~5 more minutes.
- Discard bayleaf. Remove from heat and stir in clams. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Shopping Tips:
- You can find Clam juice near the canned fish/tuna pouches at your grocery store.
- I like using Chicken of the Sea’s chopped clams in this recipe.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Trivia Tidbit:
This tomato based broth was originally made by Portuguese immigrants in Rhode Island.
Craving more soup?
Chowder Recipes From Blogs I Heart:
Nacho Potato Chowder via Inside Bru Crew Life
Shrimp and Corn Chowder via Grandbaby Cakes
Boston Clam Chowder via Mels’ Kitchen Cafe
What do you think of this Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe?