Back to School Apple Cupcakes: Moist vanilla cupcakes topped with fluffy buttercream frosting and decorated to resemble an apple. The perfect first day of school treat!
2 years of preschool +
13 years of “regular” school+
5 years of college+
I just turned 24 and I’ve spent nearly 20 years in school! Graduating college in May 2014 means this is only the second year I haven’t done the whole back to school thing. The smell of fresh notebooks, the anticipation of the first day, and meeting new teaches. Nostalgia….
Somedays I miss learning and getting to see my friends everyday. But most days I’m glad I no longer have homework! 🙂
Whether you’re going back to school or your kids are these apple cupcakes will make a great treat for the first day of school. Surprise them with one in their lunch box on the first day, or just treat them while you chit chat after school!
- For the White Cupcakes
- 1 Box White Cake Mix + Ingredients Called For on the Box
- For the Buttercream Frosting & Decorations
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- Red Sparkling Sugar
- 24 Tootsie Roll Midgies
- ~48 Green M&Ms
- Bake cupcakes according to the box directions. Cool completely.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Gradually add powdered sugar a little at at time until you reach your desired consistency. Add milk as needed.
- Fold in red food coloring until you reach your desired shade of red.
- Spread cupcake with frosting. Dust with red sparkling sugar.
- Place one Tootsie Roll onto each cupcake to resemble a stem.
- Place 2 M&Ms on each cupcake to resemble leaves.
Craving more Cupcakes?
What do you think of these Apple Cupcakes?